My dvd player has just broken on me and I want a nice new region free one. I want something good - not just the cheapest - progressive, 5.1, dts, etc.

Anyone bought a new one recently they can recommend? Up to about 4 man

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by orinoco:
Hey I didn't know about these! Excellent! So can you even play PAL dvds on a Japanese tv then using one of these? \:D
I have a 6000yen multi region DVD player that plays PAL DVDs aswell. It plays everything no problems. DVDR/RW, VCD on CD-RW the lot.
Does the job without having a fancy name on the front panel.

I had an el cheapo one at first. NTSC discs from the US weren't so bad but he picture on PAL discs from UK was crap - wobbly lines at the top and bottom of the picture. I got a better player this year and those same lines do not appear and the picture is much better.

I'm not interested in fancy labels on the front. Just interested in a quality picture.

So from my experience I would definitely pay a bit more for a decent one.

Well I must have struck it lucky. The one I have has a great picture, never had a problem, no flicker no lines, nothing. Its a DM Tech.

I tried to use my ps2 - it was horrible for playing DVDS.

The only problem is I cant use my home theatre as it has a coxial digital output, but the home theatre has a optical. I am slowly thinking about changing to a new player.

I saw these at PrimePCs website

http://www.primepc.jp/goods_pc_parts/goods_pc_parts.php?dr=10&sc=1&iv=y&stk=0&brcode=100&sbrcode=129

the Nextwave ones are multi region and both are prog scan, looks alright.

but remember progressive scan is only useful on a digital TV, regular old analogue ones cant deal with prog scan.

How many of you guys got compatible TV sets?

Kamo, I am using my PS2 and no problems at all. Sure probably I could get better. I am looking at one of the new ones that I can plug straight into my sky perfect tuner, so that I am able to recored the K-1 events on DVD.

• 4 months later...
 Quote:
Originally posted by HeatherLocklearRocks:
6000 yen, not bad. Picture and all ok?
costs 1000 yen for shipping but still damn cheap!
As for picture and everything else....FINE.
My PS2 & Mac DVD player were sometimes sensitive to scratches on my fake bali DVD'z and this baby plays all of them clap.gif