the good, the bad, and the ugly - my first column.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really good safety points Dizzy. Your comment about the book and it being as relevant to skiers as snowboarders is something I would like the opportunity to add to. The only fundamental difference between the two when it comes to avalanche safety is skiers put more pressure on the snowpack. Perhaps there is also the binding issue if you need to ditch your gear. So any of the reference materials like the one you mentioned regardless of the ski or snowboard thing are really about the same education. I'm a skier and I tend to talk in the narrative of one or the other when I really mean both.

Got warm in Naeba the last couple of days after a very cold week last week and some snow on the hill but it won't be long now.

PS if you do decide to buy Free Riding in Avalanche Terrain A Snowboarder's Handbook DO NOT also order Backcountry Avalanche Awareness. I was paying 2x more than the books value in shipping so I figured that I would order a couple of books to make it more worthwhile. Both books are identical with the exception that the pictures with skiers/telemarkers have been replaced with pictures of snowboarders, and some of the stories about avalanches have been changed to be about snowboarders. Other than those two things it was a direct cut-and-paste from one book to the other.

bk-bcaware2a.jpg

bk-freeride.jpg

That book is a good starting point. I need to know much more about backcountry safety including; properly assessing conditions, snowpack analysis, route-finding, beacon searches and rescue-senario practice amongst other things.

I'm getting more and more cautious about where I ride and the preparedness of those I'm riding with. If possible I like to ride with people who are more experienced. I am also very sceptical about going with people who aren't geared up with the 'absolute minimums'. A shovel, a probe, a beacon, and a clue of what to do in a burial situation.

Miteyak has a good point about the solo thing although the common cry is "never ride alone". I don't want to ride alone but I also don't want to ride with someone who could put the group in danger. There's only safety in numbers if the numbers are acting safely.

yup, that's the book, Free Riding. captain: thanx 4 the tip. nothing but good things to say about it.

and yes, i choose my words carefully and make the fundamental difference in my choice of words; everyone knows what i'm saying. skier, snoboarder, telemarker.

anybody do any snowmobiling in the Japanese BC? oh nevermind, i'll start a new thread.

very politically correct terminology dizzy. Yes I snowmobile around the Naeba area; this is one of the many activities which has made me top of the pops with Seibu. There is also a guy in Mitsumata with a track and a bunch of snowmobiles - if you want the contact let me know.

There are a couple of places around Naeba for BC snowmobiling, Fattwins. Depends a lot on the snow, last season wasn't even worth getting out on my machines because they have the 2 inch lugs on the tracks and if the snow is thin you just start digging up dirt and the trees are too thick. I have been trying to get access to a new area around here which is huge but the Natioinal Parks Office killed it last year and I don't hold out much hope for this year. A few years ago I went over to Tsunan ski area where there is some pretty decent bc for snowmobiling and there is also a track where they regularly hold races. That's pretty entertaining for a look. As far as the big open spaces you may have seen on the SledHeads videos - I have never found anything like that here with realistic access.

A friend of mine went to Canada snowmobiling last season and had an absolute blast.

If we get the snow this year and if I get setup I will let you know and you maybe interested to catch up.

If you offer that access to me BC ill take you up on it. Places around Hakuba do not look accessible at all. Ive sleded alot back home and Ive rolled a few. the last thing you want to do is hae to counter balance too much with a lot of gear or 2 riders. The Outs at hakuba are to narrow for the most part. I have seen one snowmobile set up for somewhere in around Takasu or north of it. Where??????

This year Fortress in Canada is going to go off for snowmachines and riding. the resort closed and dam if it aint huge easy access. So where are the biggest resorts that have closed in Japan.

No problem Fattwins, I will keep you duly informed. Don't know anything about the Hakuba area so I can't comment or help out there - sorry.

Ski areas closing - that is certainly on my wish list. More from the point of view that some North American or French operators might move in and revitalise snow sports here than snowmobiling. Lot are in or near bankruptcy but I can run faster than the legal system moves here (I give the snails a good go when I run) and the properties just tend to lapse into dissuse under the courts protection. Also a lot are actually on land that is National Park so it goes back to them. Healthier on your eardrums in a car crash than go there.

Yuki's Passion, sorry you will just have to allow me my private indulgence until the 16th - it doesn't matter anyway and you got the first view when I posted it. You may (or maybe not) be interested if you pick up issue 2 of Bravo Ski; the Mike Douglas & Dai-k Sasaki article is one I did the snow safety for last season. I don't actually remeber the snow being as good as it appears in the photos; I do however remember catching a ski tip on a tree branch on the first day and twisting my arse around my head. Yes, I felt very special; it was just the moment I was looking for. If you are wondering what those guys are like aside from being awesome skiers - really, really nice guys. Mike spent a lot of time talking to people on the mountain who recognised him and is not without a great sense of humor. Dai-k is a wicked skier and after meeting some of my Japanese bc friends who are in their 50's left, I am sure with a very different perception of ojisans.

• 2 weeks later...

BCoasis: Interesting read - anything with mr Dspin usually is - he always comes across as such a humble guy and really amicable.

I had a chance to speak with Junpei (Endou)up in Hokkaido a little, both at the park and at 343; hes really nice, but quite reserved. I guess he lets his skiing speak for himself lol.gif It would be nice for him to be able to get on the scene now that his ban has been lifted cool.gif

PS, we should put you in the snowbeard section!