One of my fillings fell out yesterday, its quite a bit one and I need to get it seen to so I'm going to take a trip to the dentist for the first time soon.

Anything I should know of "dentist stories in Japan" before I make the trip?

Yes definitely think that you'll need a few trips there. The one I went to up here was fine, I didn't have any problems apart from the assistant giggling all the time.

Good luck.

The fillings are usually quite well done here as they take their sweet time and mold it properly. The bonding techniques here are supposedly better than "back home", although a quick glance at the local teeth show some are not taking advantage of this.

The dentists get a certain payment from the National Health Insurance every time you visit, as well as a cash payment from you, I hear, so that's why they like you to keep coming back again and again.

A final note on fillings falling out, as explained to me by my father over 3 decades ago:

Did you ever consider that maybe it was your body that fell off the filling, rather than vice versa?

\:D

I'm about to have my first Japan dentist experience on Thursday. It's pretty cheap on the National Insurance but all these time wasting visits sound like ummm...well a bloody waste of time.