Karaoke - losing its appeal?

I know we've talked about karaoke on here before but.. is it losing its appeal with lots of Japanese? In the area I live, some places have closed down (they deserved to!) and the people I know don't seem as keen as they used to. It always used to be nijikai is karaoke, but that seems to be either another bar or something else now not the dreaded karaoke.

I can't tell you how happy I am about that. This common or just the people I'm hanging out with?

I bloody well hope so.

There was something on the tv the other night that was some kind of tarento special where they all had to sing some famous j-pop hit karaoke-style. It was just the worst noise you've ever heard, bloody awful it was but it held my attention for a short while - like some bad movies I just felt compelled to watch it a bit more

In my experience, it is less boom than before maybe compare to 5 years ago. But many people still enjoy karaoke with friend, maybe karaoke box is more popular and expensive bar becoming less popular.

It's still got a long way to go to get rid of its appeal from where I'm looking at it. Lets go karaoke, the dreaded suggestion after a party. Oh shit, not karaoke again. mad.gif