Red list of threatened species

It is sad but you can do things about it also!

This summer i took part in an ecological project on Ogasawara Islands abdout 1000km south of Tokyo where I worked with Green Turtles and Hawksbill Turtles. Not only was it doing something to help the planet, but also probably one of the greatest summer s I have ever had, met loads of new people, went diving nearly every day and the island is the most beautiful place I have been to. With many endemic species it was really interesting. I am going back in March for some time to work with Humpback Whales. Bring it on!!

So get off your asses and do something! \:\)

One of the biggest destroyers of species at the moment is global warming, and it will get much worse, not better.

What can you do about it? Stop buying things you don't need especially from overseas, going to places you don't need to go, and voting for politicans who put business interests over the environment.

Working on your local and national politicians will do more I think, than 'working with' animals that have been around far longer than us without any help ... enjoyable as it may be ...

Is that an example of an "extreme"?

Rather than setting specific limits, I think the answer is that every little helps, especially in industrialized countries where most of the pollution is caused. Saying "thou shalt not ...." invariably disengages a lot of people who could no doubt contribute other ways.

As for shopping, I think you'll find the most attractive urban places to live are integrated communities where people support local specialized retailers instead of driving 15 miles in each direction to save $10 at Walmart or Tesco. The social and environmental costs of supermarkets far outweigh any $10 saved.

Here's how supermarkets are forcing English apples into extinction.

http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2004/10/30/fallen-fruit/

rachael, when Everest becomes unfroze , I take it as a sign that measures are called for. In a lot of ways, I think what we work so hard for at our jobs everyday is not that great anyway. So I'm going to get a smaller house, smaller car, smaller job, and get physically smaller myself. It might take some time, but ultimately I think I'll be happier for it. If it makes life easier for a bunch of frogs that I'll never see, so much the better.

I wish there were shops that I could walk to now, but there aren't. If more people voted for political parties that got serious about much touted 'machizukuri', things might change.

(This is in response to the question "What else can we do?" I'm just sorry I left doing something for so long...)

Quote:
Working with local politicians...more productive than working with animals who have been around far longer than us without our help..
True O11 working with Politicians,etc may also improve things, the fact is that the animals have been around longer than us but it is us that is killing them off, and there is a concerted effort needed by all parties and in all areas!! Animals also need a leg up every now and then as its our stupidity and recklessness that has put them in a position where they can`t help themselves any longer.

For those interested in Ogasawara:

I was part of a volunteer work force based at the Kaiyo Centre there on Chichi Jima which is the main inhabited island of the Ogasawara Shoto. They are always looking for volunteers, my job was predominantly during Turtle nesting time which is the beginning to the mid of summer. It involved the collection of eggs from the beaches they were laid (as that increased the percentage of hatchlings to 90% from 30% if left) along with the release of the new hatchlings. Hard work often into the early hours of the morning but with huge rewards,and as I say one of the best summers I have had. The surroundings you are working in are as close to paradise as you can get with crystal waters and a tropical temperate. I have loads more info for anyone interested, mail me and I can send them details of how to get involved. In march many Humpbacks come to Ogasawara to give birth and there are lots of positions at the centre that time also. Like I say, is an awsome experiance and for a very good cause.

farquah, I don't wish to impugn that sort of activity - it's just that most people will never get the chance to help in that way. If we take some not very hard steps close to home, the need for that sort of help to animals may be less.

(It sounds great BTW).