Anyone seen the new Miyazaki animation?

Oscar-winning director Hayao Miyazaki's latest film has set a new Japanese box office record, with 1.5bn yen ($14.3m) in two days, according to reports. Howl's Moving Castle is the follow-up to Miyazaki's Spirited Away, which won best animation at last year's Oscars.

Im going this weekend!! Been dying to see it since I first saw the trailer for it. With his arthritis I dont know how many more he will be able to create... which is a shame - I love his works: Naoshika, Mononokehime, Totoro, Neko no Ongaeshi, Raputa are 100 times better than Disney.

I thought that's what you meant Yamakashi - just wanted to make sure. Indeed, Disney haven't even come close to Miyazaki in any aspect. Pixar on the other hand make a very slick film. Great story, great animation (albeit computer generated), and great sound/music.

The new Miyazaki hasn't even been mentioned here in Aus (not surprising since Spirited Away didn't get much press either). I had a brief thought of seeing it when I get to Japan (less than 2 weeks). But alas, I doubt it will be showing anywhere with 'ego' subtitles.

My local barman (an agricultural college graduate) was telling me that Miyazaki wanted to do a film about genetically modified (GM) crops - because GM rice is currently being tested in Hokkaido and is likely to 'escape' from there sometime soon.

Being a late Friday night, I missed some of the details, but I think it was probably the distributors who let him know that he wouldn't be allowed to do anything 'political'. According to my informant, Miyazaki decided instead to spread the message over a number of films. So keep your eyes peeled!

I think that the political/environmental content of Miyazaki's films is something that distinguishes them from the slick but otherwise shallow productions of Disney.

The farmer in Hokkaido had contract with Monsanto and bouhgt GM seeds from them. Hokkaido officials and JA Hokkaido didn't know about that. I thought Hokkaido has regulation of growing GM crops, doesn't it? But Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Ministry allows growing GM crops in Japan...

I only watched Naushika. I liked it. I think I should watch more of his films.

I had a feeling you'd add something to this slow.

I was also told that the woman who 'owns' the rights to the basic Japanese rice type is from Ehime, and works very hard to make it available to other countries free of charge.

Watching Miyazaki's films gave me a new appreciation of the movement of water. He clearly loves the stuff.

• 2 years later...

Has anybody seen Tales from Earthsea done by Miyazaki's son (I think it's his son)

Watched it last night and am not sure... There seemed to be character overlaps from his pasts movies and this. There was a bloke in Mononokehime which had the same face - wonder if it was his son who drew it originally? And Yubaba from Sen to Chihiro was in it too.

The theme of life/death and the cycle was interesting but it was also cheesy - the main bad guy I thought he was a cross dressing transvestite from thailand. Weird character.

Would like to give it one more go before returning it.

yep, he didn't want his son to do that project and he now pretty much won't talk to him. Saw a doco about it on J TV a while back and he was pretty open in his criticism of his son.

I haven't seen it btw.