I am going to be in Tokyo next weekend and looking for places to go. Not sure if I will have the night off but if I do I'd like to party!

Any good places? Please no Roppongi.

Gee Rach, sorry I am not there to show you round ;\)

I suggest that you go to Maniac Love in Aoyama at about 5am Sunday morning through to about 11am. Before that you can go anywhere that takes your fancy. There are so many venues that it is hard to know what will be good on any given night without doing some research.

Ive never been there myself but check out Agehar in shin-kiba

http://www.ageha.com/

from what I hear its quite a wild place on the weekends.

Alternatively I can show you a good night out in Chiba. Theres a nice quiet jazz bar just up the road from my aparto plus a 1500yen nomihoudai all night bar to visit, includes cocktails and topshelf (my fav Jack Daniels!!!)

A quick look at the Metropolis link says you've got Timo Mass (fairly mainstream trance/progressive house) Oliver Ho (hard but somewhat experimental UK techno) and Shuya (the elder one) Okino on in the clubs. Deep Housers Slam Mode are on as well, but I've not heard anything by them for years.

As Dear recommends, the Maniac Love after hours has been going off for a long time. You usually get Warp House, the upbeat Euro-ey stuff they play in London's gay clubs like Trade, from deejays like Shinkawa and Yoshi (who speaks a fair bit of English). It's not as sophisticated as what you get in NYC's gay clubs, but it certainly keeps the kids going. The club itself is sweaty little dive not far from Aoyama University in Omotesando. Very dark and caverny, with strobes going most of the time.

I'm back now, we ended up not hitting the nightlife spots more like local izakaya and had a right laugh. I often feel you can be really lucky and unlucky with a choice of an izakaya, on any night, but we were lucky. Great food, lots of friendly people, really fun.

Nice to be back in Kobe though \:D

I much prefer a good night out at an izakaya to a rowdy bar in Roppongi/etc.

You can find some great things on the menus in lots of places. The other night I had some jumbo gyoza that were baked in a cheese sauce. Very nice.

I couldn't stand most izzy's I went to, but a good one was always a worthwhile experience and I would like to go back to many of them. But that is not the average izzy. Like many Famuri Resu, an izzy was usually characterless and designed for cheap food and crumby patrons and besides, I like to drink with my shoes on and also piss in my own shoes rather than the smelly slippers of the last drunken guy flopped around the toilet in.

Keep in mind, there is a lot more to a night out in Tokyo than a crowded and terrible bar in The Pong. I think I went out in Pongy about 5 times in 2 years.

Rach, sounds like you had fun. But it seems that our recommendations were a little to conservative for you tastes ;\)

Quote:
But it seems that our recommendations were a little to conservative for you tastes
Yes, I didn't want to make a point of that, but seeing as though you did. :p ;\)
 Quote:
an izzy was usually characterless and designed for cheap food and crumby patrons
I wonder is that because you were in Tokyo? Are izakayas much different in country areas. Where I am theres a good selection of really good places - good atmoshere, good food,.. .really good times to be had. (There are of course some crappy places here as well of course)

I've never been to an izakaya style place in Tokyo, so don't have anything to compare to. Anyone?

To be fair, I am basing that overly strong comment of mine on experiences at nomihodai/lowest common denominator Shibuya type dives that are an insult to anyone who enjoys reasonable quality food and getting pissed in an environment that is at non offensive in terms of interior design. I confess I have not been to any country izakaya at all and likely would have enjoyed them if I did.

From my Tokyo perspective; pachinko, izakaya and karaoke all belong in the same trash can of crap social outlets.

In Tokyo I would prefer to visit a good rowdy yakiniku joint as a better option to get pissed with lots of chatty people around and a pile of food to eat. I always enjoyed catching up with mates over yakiniku. I miss it actually.