Hey Gaijin and Locals...what's your take on Mexican Food? I seriously wouldn't want to live without it for more than a month at a time. Perhaps even, I couldn't. So life in japan has me scrambling for my next mexican fix.

What I'm curious about is your need for Mex food and I'm also curious about which other ethnic foods you severely miss or crave or are curious about while living in Japan.

Thank you!

Although I have never been to the place, there is a Mexican food restaurant (or it claims to be) in Sibuya. It is at the same building as the Fridays, at the basement. Do you have any good Mexican restaurant to suggest?

I have really missed to eat some Greek food. Especially some "soublaki" and "BBQ lam". It seems it is really hard to find here in Japan and even if you do It`s way to expensive.

Love the mex. These days I make everything myself.

Thai, Mex, Indo, Indian (takes a full day!)

Only thing that sucks is that corriander is hard to get hold of locally & tortillias are also sold in only a few stores which sucks.

In Oz I miss J food!

Yeah Mexican food rocks. One of my favorites is Malaysian food which, for some reason, is really hard to find. Never seen of Malaysian food in Japan, whereas there are Thai restaurants all over the place these days. Thai is great but I would love some curry lhaksa with roti or beef rendang.

Rendang is the stuff!

But I think that if you could get it here it wouldn't be the stuff thats been cooked for 5 hrs slowly ( like in Maskan Padang shops in Indo). Probably just a quick fix recipe! but even that tastes nice sometimes!

Excellent points Indosnm about the corriander (hard to find and also expensive) and tortilla's. In the US tortilla's come in various sizes and grains and are as common or more so than bread. I'm now studying how to make my own. I'm planning a trip to mexico next March.

I was thinking the other day.

If you can grow avocado, lime, corriander, tomato, onion... in your garden, you can start organic mexican restaurant! Everything is very fresh and cheap because from your garden! You have to grow flour or corn for tortilla, too. ;\)

Coriander is very cheap in some places (inaka). It's also easy to grow.

You can make tortillas with a tortilla press and a hotplate.

I'm going to start growing corn too, but I need to learn how to make flour from it.

My Californian friend makes the best Mexican food in Matsuyama. He doesn't seem to mind spending all day cooking to see it just disappear in about 30 minutes.

Hard to tell really. My mountain allotment is visited by wild boars and there was a very trotter-shaped hole where I buried one whole avocado, so I wonder if it's still in there. I doubt boars understand avocados, so I live in hope.

The other one is sitting in water on my window-ledge. It hasn't sprouted yet.

I didn't see jalapenos on your list slow. Gotta have the jalapenos for the hot bot the next morning!

tortillas are dead easy to make. a bit messy and time consuming the first few times, but once you get the hang of it its quick and relatively simple. sort of the same as making your own pizza dough.

sure its not as convinient as buying them, but they are cheap cheap cheap to make and taste so much better. flour, water salt and some lard/shortening is pretty much all that you need, a rolling pin or a bottle and a big fry pan.

cooking is fun \:\)

do you use corn flour for the tortillias?

As for corriander. Its a prick to grow! I can get anything to grow except for that! The only way it really grows well is if we buy it in a pot and just trim it off as its ready, that way it grows back pretty strong.

Our avocado trees never produced any fruit so good luck O11. Hope you fair better than we did!

umm, i just used normal flour:

http://www.dianaskitchen.com/page/bread/tortilla.htm

after you make them into little balls, let them sit for 30mins or so. i think this helps them settle a bit and makes them easier to roll.

then roll them out quite thin and fry each side on high flame. they cook really quickly.

and when i make dough and sticky stuff like this, it's usually best to get one hand 'dirty' and keep another hand free, so that when you need to do something else you have a spare clean hand.

good luck!