My parents have just connected up to broadband and I thought it would be good for us both to get some kind of PC cam thing going on each end so we could talk and see each other at the same time. I had a walk round the local denkiyasan the other day, but didn't really know what to look for or which was good. I'm going to try looking on the web, but if anyone has any recommendations then that would be just great!

Cheers

tons out there:

http://www.biccamera.com/bicbic/jsp/w/ca...ption/index.jsp

not much difference between models below 10,000yen. some have headsets, some don't, etc.

stuff above 30,000 gets into the area of network-cameras (eg you don't need a computer, you can plug it in directly to the ethernet cable, has remote capability, etc).

• 5 months later...

do not buy a product like this:

3299.jpg

Get one that firmly clips to the top of your screen and that does not have a 4 foot long heavy cable hanging out of the extreme rear end of the camera. This just adds to the camera's complete inability to sit on your screen and point at your face. It makes it even harder to change its position by hand.

I will be objective: I had one like this and hated using it so I stopped. 2 years later I was given an Apple iSight. It stays exactly where I want it and can be twisted and pivoted with ease. The functional hardware design is light years ahead of most others I have seen.

My logitech was expensive and a pain in the arse to use. My iSight is a pleasure to use.

isight-400xlearnmore062303.jpg