It really depends on what type of machine your using. Back in NZ to run the pumps to power 26 guns, (different system to japan) it was about $200,000 nz per month. When they cranck these things up every light in the town dims down there is that much drain on the grid. I assume that the portable guns that many fields use here, the ones with trscks and are self propelled, they would be much cheaper as they run on diesel, but the in japan you have to pay for the water where as in NZ waters still free. Way too much for our meager incomes to even think about owning one of these things,personally I hate man made snow and try not to ski it unless I have to.

Oh yeah I forgot to say that if you use additives to make snow in warm temps, like Snomax or other brands its about $600nz per kilo and to make 50m square at a depth of 20cm it will use about 30kgs so not very economical,but its used lots in early season in Aussie and NZ.

I hear it takes a ton of electricity to run the shredded ice type machines they got at some places here. Maybe that's why we get the "not-so-discount" discount at Naeba. Either that or kokudo thinks they can use prince hotels to help bail out seibu. shady I tell ya shifty.gif

The same in NZ as Japan, its a big compition to see who is the first to open, even if its is only 1 poxy run with full price lift tickets, they still pull the punters. In Mt Hutts case its pretty necessary to have snow making even just to build a base for the main runs as the whole skifeild is rock. Most of the terrain is unskiable unless there is more than 30cm of snow otherwise you just give your skis a "Natural Base Grind" done that a few times myself. I reckon its worth it in the long run.