I found this in the Times today, I thought it was interesting. I'm sure 34 guests will have something to say! lol.gif

^^^^^^^

British food has never been a source of national pride but London has now been hailed as the best place in the world to eat. Overtaking even Paris, Rome and New York, the capitals restaurants have “blown away” the critics at that bible of American food, Gourmet magazine.

Yeah, maybe London has a lot of kinds coz it's metropolitan.

When I hear 'British food', not really any specific dishes pop up in my mind.

I mean if I hear 'Italian food', lasagna, pizza, calpaccio etc pop up, if it's German, sauerkraut etc do. But if it's British, no idea \:\(

Lard and toast! Hahaha.

I found some pub meals to be really nice when I was over there. Definitely home-made cooking is the way to go if you possibly can.

I thought I read that British cooking was enjoying something of a rennaysance (I cant spell it properly so I'll go for that version). Some celeb cooks going round and doing their stuff to upgrade the image.g

• 2 weeks later...

Sure, in London you can go out and pay a big bill for some great food* . Big deal, that is expected for an 'international city'. But that is not the standard on which you judge a nation (city's) food. Food is something that is part of our daily lives and it is the street level- every day- lets grab a bite to eat- food that defines a nations digestive offerings. No one can ever claim that London scores well on that measure. It is quite simply beyond appalling the way people eat here, particularly for a nation so old that has failed to develop any meaningful cuisine aspect of their 'culture'. London has other attributes but the daily food experience is not one of them.

Fine dining and boutique chefs are only 1% of the food experience that is relevant to the populous in their daily eating habits.

People here are utility eaters. They eat to stay alive and drink to get drunk.

Japan, France and Italy knock my socks off for simple food delights. Food is part of life and one need not even know about the top or middle tier eateries to partake in the food experience that is ingrained in their cultures.

The more cosmopolitan areas of Sydney and Melbourne are also amazing places for a massive variety of affordable cafe style food diversity. Getting hungry in those cities is exciting as the opportunities to satisfy your hunger and desire for a food casual experience are endless. I am sure there are many other cities in the world that offer the same.

To be fair, there are deserving exceptions to my rant: food such as that served in my local pub.... lamb shank and mash, duck and cherry sausages, Welsh Salt Marsh lamb cutlets. Super enjoyable simple home style cooking near a coal fire witha warm flat beer is an experience I have enjoyed many times since being here. I reckon when I get up to Yorkshire or wherever I will also experience some decent fodder as well. Same goes for simple Cornish grub and some of the excellent Stilton cheddars that I have had. Really good stuff, should be much more of it.

* and also some very expensive b-grade food in a tasteless environment that stocks dry crusty cigars.

Quote:
People here are utility eaters. They eat to stay alive and drink to get drunk.
Funny, but a bit harsh that.

One other aspect of the food in a country is the home-made one. And I have had some incredible home-made food in the UK, some of the best food I've tasted.