SerreChe - A few Alyeska pics from this weekend

I finally made it down to ski Alyeska. The conditions weren't all that great, but the weather was spectacular. It was pretty icy most of the day but softened up around 3pm.

This is a shot up in to the bowl from the parking lot. The tops of those peaks are only 3,990 feet but the parking lot is only about 20 feet elevation.

alyeska_bowl_from_parking_lot.jpg

A shot of the headwall in the bowl. This was all closed due to avy danger. I think the very top is permanently closed.

Alyeska_Headwall_01.jpg

Another part of the bowl and headwall. Later in the day there were guys parasailing with skis on down this valley. It was fun to watch!

Alyeska_headwall_02.jpg

And, because I have it, a poor shot of Denali (Mt McKinley, 20,900') and a huge glacier from the plane.

Denali.jpg

Had a great time there and I'll definitely be skiing it a lot next year. We didn't even ski the north face due to the conditons. It's not a huge mountain, but there is a ton of unique terrain to explore. Also, I think the talent level there, for boarders and skiers and definitely telli people, was above anywhere else I've been. Some absolute rippers. Some absolutely beautiful scenery too. Very unique for a ski area. Turnagain Arm (a large inlet to the ocean) is right there along with the entire Chugach Range.

I had a great time there!

Hi Plucky,

thanx a lot for the pics dude!

Although it was icy, the terrain still looks sweet on the pictures. It sounds like this year was very unusual in AK for the snow conditions. I think that in a normal year this place must be knocking your socks off. Good to have this terrain nearby (or at least not too far). This bowl does look nice but Toque is right, those cornices look like they're waiting for a sucker to go in.

I assume you skied there and did not board, so even if it was icy, it must have been nice to hit some nice steeps (sounds like the place has some nice ones!) as long as your edges were sharp! For boarders though the conditions must have been tougher. Not surprised the locals rip big time. If not much to do around there in the winter they must know the place inside out.

Did you try snowcat/heli skiing there?

Oh and by the way, it is really great to have some "Japanese" skiing/boarding "alumni" sending some pics/reports from overseas! Keep 'em coming, really interesting! Especially with regards to AK since it is not one of the most often skied places.

Toque - That bowl is actually called Glacier Bowl. I'd probably classify it as a cirque glacier. I didn't see any pronounced bergschrunds, however. What you are seeing in the picture is called 'the high traverse' which accesses the lower parts of the bowl and some double blacks that aren't in the pic. Can't wait to ski in there next winter!

SerreChe - unfortunately, my edges were not sharp! I beat the crap out of my skis in Whistler and never did get around to tuning them before I got to Alyeska. My knee was giving me fits also and I ended up damaging it some more. I thought things had softened up enough for a bump run, but I was wrong. I was ripping down, having a blast and then hit an icy mogul hard enough to jam my knee into my chest. That pretty much ended my day! Luckily, it was around 4:00pm so I got my full day in. I'm actually looking for an orthopedic clinic to go have the thing looked at right now. The third surgery is the charm, correct? ;\)

So, I didn't get a chance to explore the heli skiing and it looks like that is going to have to wait until next year. I had a great season, however, so I'm not too disappointed.

By the way, it was the spring carnival weekend which made things even better! Tons of people having a ton of fun! Here are some pics from the Alyeska website of the 'Slush Cup.' Next year, I'm taking my wetsuit and doing this \:\) :

ainvert_slush_cup.jpg

aretro_slush_cup.jpg

Quote:
Originally posted by scoobydoo:
Great stuff. Are you actually originally from Alaska Plucky?
No, I grew up in Oregon actually. I did my masters research in Alaska back in '99 and fell in love with the place though. When the opportunity to actually move to AK presented itself last year, I sprung on it. I love it up here \:D
 Quote:
Originally posted by Plucky:
 Quote:
Originally posted by scoobydoo:
Great stuff. Are you actually originally from Alaska Plucky?
No, I grew up in Oregon actually. I did my masters research in Alaska back in '99 and fell in love with the place though. When the opportunity to actually move to AK presented itself last year, I sprung on it. I love it up here \:D
Great! Somebody who knows Alaska!

We've been considering a trip up there to check out primarily resort skiing - BC can come later.

Since it's a long haul from Oz to AK \:\( , I want to find out from a local where are the best places to stay 'n ski? I.e. preferably an area where we could visit as many ski areas as possible.

Also, the best time of the season to hit the pow but avoid crap weather and 'crowds'.

Any suggestions appreciated. \:\)

Hey SubZero,

I'm still kind of new up here, so I don't know a lot of the areas all that well. The state is just so damn big - it's going to take a lifetime to see everything!

I live in the interior of Alaska where there actually aren't that many ski resorts (or people for that matter). We have 4 places to ski within an hour of my house, but 2 of them are pretty pathetic. You probably wouldn't want to come up here in the winter anyway. Temps from Nov-Mar are usually around -30C and can get colder!

I'm not that familiar with the Anchorage area as this trip was my first one down. I don't think there are a lot of resorts down there either. The two I know of are Alyeska and Alpenglow. There are a couple others out in the Palmer/Wasilla area, but I know nothing about them. Cordova has a ski area and Valdez is the capital of heli-skiing. Juneau also has a ski area across the inlet on Douglas island. Take a look at a map though to see just how far these areas are from each other.

If I was going to come to AK for a ski trip, I'd make my base Girdwood. This is where Alyeska is located. It is only about 45 minutes outside of Anchorage in one of the most beautiful areas I've ever seen. It would take a few days to explore all of Alyeska, but then there is a ton of BC potential in the area too that would take forever to explore. Probably the best time of year to ski Alyeska would be February/March timeframe. Temps are a tad warmer but the snow is still falling - heavily! Also, there is so much to do in the area besides skiing or boarding. Snowmobile rides, dog mushing, ice and rock climbing, parasailing, fishing and on and on....

Anyway, hope that helps you a little!

Oh, here is another pic I meant to post above. I see I put the wrong one in. Oops!

Alyeska_Headwall_03.jpg

Since I'm in to my pics right now, here are a few more from around my cabin. This is the eastern Alaska Range (Mt Hayes is the big one - 13,900' I believe)

337Mt_Hayes.jpg

This was taken in January I believe on the frozen Salcha River. It was 2 PM when I took this. Sun isn't up all that high, is it? Oh, it was also -35F this day!

337ND_machine_and_sun.jpg

My cabin. It's bigger than it looks - a whopping 1000 sq feet! Probably bigger than most apts in Tokyo I'm sure! Well water, spetic, elec - all the modern conveniences away from all the modern hustle and bustle. The Salcha River is only 100 meters or so from the front entrance.

337Front_of_Cabin.jpg