The guardian`s asked ten scientists about threats to human existence and then rated them according to how likely they are to happen and their probable devestation:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/feature/story/0,13026,1458536,00.html

A summary:

D=Danger to our existence (10 for total destruction)

P=Probability that it`ll happen in our lifetime (70years)

If nothing else this has the makings of a class new Top Trumps game....

1) Climate Change D-6 P-High

2) Telomere erosion D-8 P-Low

3) Viral Pandemic D-3 P-V.High

4) Terrorism D-2 P-V.High

5) Nuclear war D-8 P-Low

6) Meteorite impact D-5 P-Medium

7) Robots taking over D-8 P-High

8) Cosmic ray blast from exploding star D-4 P-Low

9) Super-Volcanos D-7 P-V.High

10) Earth swallowed by a black hole D-10 P-Exceedingly Low

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not quite sure I understand the probabilities, but it says "A super-volcano is 12 times more likely than a large meteorite impact. There is a 0.15% probability that one will happen in your lifetime." which seems low, but it gets a Very High score.

A Supervolcano in the next 70 years would likely cancel out or otherwise render irrelevant any effects of Global Warming wouldn't it...?

Cal is correct. The ceramic robots will get this acidic fuel from the aliens that will visit but decided not to invade Earth due to the fear of a cosmic ray blast from exploding star hitting the planet.

Chemical Ali and Suddam Hussein were never the global threat that George Bush still is and only somebody who got all their 'news' from defective American media would make such a ridiculous comparison.

Ocean11....

Please explain the global threat that you say Bush is.

In one case, Chemical Ali murdered over 100,000 Kurds at the direction of Saddam Hussein. I believe these actions amounted to a global threat.

I would offer that someone that sees otherwise is plainly ignorant. Your conclusive statements are comical.

Also...which media outlet do you propose I look to for accuracy?

Well Furm, you might want to start with that link in my signature. The news changes every day at 3 pm Japan time. Reading it for a week or two will help to correct your misperceptions which are abundantly evident in your above post. You might also want to check a dictionary for the meaning of 'global' and try to use it correctly in future. Words count.

Your avatar is really annoying by the way. Be a gent and get something that isn't so distracting would ya? Thanks.

good banter. You had no explanation as to W's global threat though.

I see your point...news originating from a source called "antiwar.com" must be the most objective source out there. Careful, I wouldn't drink the punch they send you with your "membership kit."

Your liberal idealism is about as annoying as my avatar...poop.

You see Furm, you jump to conclusions without looking at the substance, hence your support for Bush and your refusal to look at a valuable website. Is there something inherently liberal, wrong-headed, unpatriotic or some other negative quality about disagreeing with war? The website itself is run by libertarians and features many conservative writers. The news sources it links to are all mainstream press of varied political colouring.

I don't really need to explain Bush's global threat, as it's painfully apparent to any thinking person, but you can perhaps see for yourself his connection with two or more of the global threats originally posted.

ProbablyaCrazyPerson, why thank you! I took it down in a snit. I shall put up another one soon. It won't be a tasteless, annoying jumping turd, rest assured.

I hope to think that nobody agrees with war. It unfortunately is, however, part of our reality.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

I am done here. If you muster up any worthwhile description of W's "threat," I would love to hear it because I strongly believe that Mr. Bush is partaking in the very difficult task of making this world a better place for all of us to live.

10-4

> I hope to think that nobody agrees with war.

George Bush clearly agrees with it. So do you (it makes a better place for all of us to live, you see.) You are taking crazy pills (if it isn't your telomeres getting a bit frayed).

A snit is when you get all irritated and pissed off and sometimes hit out in pointless ways. "I'll ... I'll ... I'll delete my avatar!"

Quote:
Originally posted by Furm:
...I strongly believe that Mr. Bush is partaking in the very difficult task of making this world a better place for all of us to live.
10-4
I work with a guy from NY whom I like. He looks me directly in the face and makes the same statement. It is quite amazing. He doesnt finish with '10-4' though.

In this world today, from a global perspective, I would rather Saddam be in charge of the Iraq of old than Bush in charge of America as it is. I must be selfish unlike all the war-is-reality minded freedom giving Americans.
 Quote:
Originally posted by echineko:
What is 10-4?
It is redneck lingo. For example:

Chad is driving in his 5 gallons to a mile truck in some southern American pro-bush state telling himself how good war is and how gays should never me allowed in the Marines. On a two-way radio he calls Cory who is in his own war-for-oil SUV truck. He just dropped his wife off at church. Cory suggests that they go for a few bottles of bud behind the hog shed on his farm. Cory knows what Chad really likes to do behind the hog shed and eagerly replies '10-4! See you there!'