"rotting flesh, old socks, Camembert cheese or dirty nappies" all smell quite different from each other. Somebody needs to go back and smell the thing again.

rach, I just noticed that your avatar is 'scratch and sniff'. It smells good!

The word on the street from my fellow botantists is that it smells like rotting eggs or flesh, which makes sense because I think it is polinated by flies and/or carrion beetles. Although I am not sure where these people have smelt rotting flesh before. Makes my wonder about some of my friends.......

This biggun' is called Amorphophallus titanum and only flowers a couple of times in 40 years. So whoever named it had a sense of humour and was also impressed with its........size \:\)

Think I saw one of them in the tropical dome at the Eden Project back home. If anyone is in England I really reccomend the Eden Project for a visit, it`s awsome, really impressive. I visited about three years ago and was pretty impressed so by now it should be flourishing and pretty well established I would expect.

Just found this on Eden Project web site so it is there!!!!

Apex_Titan_Arum09-04-05.jpg

The biggest flower in the world is blooming here and causing the most incredible stink!

Known as a Titan arum, the extremely rare botanical freak has been installed in a giant pot within the lush depths of our Humid Tropics Biome.

Today the plant stands at a mighty 222 cms (just over 7ft 4in). Visitors have been flocking to see this wonder of the plant world but were warned that when as it goes into full flower it would give off a sickening odour.

The Titan originates from the tropical rainforests of Sumatra, Indonesia, where it is also known as the corpse flower because of its putrid stench. It is a distant cousin of the lilies known as lords and ladies found in British hedgerows.

Tim Grigg, the gardener who has lovingly nurtured Eden’s Titan from a small tuber, said: “It is famous for its sheer size, shape and revolting smell. This has been likened to dead rats, decaying fish and burnt sugar.”

He added: “It has taken us by surprise because we didn’t expect it to flower this year. It’s the craziest, most spectacular plant. Children, gardeners - anyone remotely interested in nature - will be fascinated by it. It's a monster but a quite beautiful one.”

The plant is measured daily and notes are kept on its condition so Eden can share data with botanists all over the world.

The plant - Latin name Amorphophallus titanum - is distinguished by its yellowy, fleshy spike known as a spadix. This is wrapped in a single cream leaf which, when opened, reveals a deep crimson inside.

When it is ready to attract pollinators, the spike heats up and gives off the smell which revolts humans but is very alluring to insects. It then develops a fruit which attracts birds.

Don Murray, Eden’s Humid Tropics Curator, said: “For many people this will be the chance of a lifetime to see one of the true wonders of nature."