At my school, I had a meeting with a jhs first year boy, the homeroom teacher, and his mother. The boy, and he isnt alone, Id say last year maybe a dozen or so boys were dyslexic, has very severe problems and is also ADDHD making his problem even worse.

Before the meeting I had said something about recommending the boy seek some professional help to the HR teacher. He said that saying that to the parents is a bad idea and it will cause too much embarrassment for the family!! eek.gif mad.gif

Yes, lets just ignore the issue and hope it goes away... The kid is going to get left behind and become more and more frustrated about his condition because his parents refuse to do anything. Against the HRs teachers will, I suggested it to the mother and she looked at me as if I was the devil or something...

How sad. As a teacher, I try to spend extra time with kids who really dont understand English and while I am no expert in ADDHD or dyslexia, its obvious that many people in Japan are just too embarrassed to seek help.

Just pretend its not there and it will go away. Next time my taxes come Ill consider that.

Anybody else ever have that problem? Any methods that work well with ADDHD/dyslexic kids?

The Tomatis ear-training method is supposed to help on both counts, but it's expensive and probably not available in your area, though there's 2 places in Tokyo doing it.

I have High school kid who maybe dyslexic, I am no expert but he has so much trouble reading. He just doesnt get it. He a polite eagre pleasant kid and has a good attention span but oh so slow and simple. I think he mum sends him to my school just to get him out of her hair.

I am curious how he is at his high school, how they deal with him etc.

Reading your post Yama I can probably imagine.

Quote:
Originally posted by Yamakashi:

Before the meeting I had said something about recommending the boy seek some professional help to the HR teacher. He said that saying that to the parents is a bad idea and it will cause too much embarrassment for the family!! eek.gif mad.gif

How sad. As a teacher, I try to spend extra time with kids who really dont understand English and while I am no expert in ADDHD or dyslexia, its obvious that many people in Japan are just too embarrassed to seek help.

I've never heard dyslexia and researched it.
http://www.readingrockets.org/helping/putdowns/

It's very sad that your student have parents like that. What people think is more important than their son'n future. I have a friend who have been suffering social withdrawal since he was 19years old. Now he is just staying home more than 10years. He tried hard to wriggle out of this situation and went to counselors. When he decided to get mental disability certificate because he wanted to become independent, his dad refused it. I was very sad when he told me this. I wish he was strong enough to stand up to his patrents. I can't help him, I can't change his parents...
Yama, I hope that your suggestion open up them to think about it.

I hope so too slow; but wouldnt bet on it. Especially with these snobby and elitist people I deal with at my school.

Theyre too preoccupied to make sure that their sons have the newest Gucci watch than their grades :rolleyes:

Its so frustrating cuz these kids are getting screwed by their own parents. If I was at that nasty girls school I worked at in Hiroshima Id understand. They were from less affluent families than these boys are. But, here, theres no excuse for not having money and not getting treatment thumbsdown.gif

I've had college aged kids in English classes who appeared to have trouble reading Japanese, others had some type of learning disorder. They were in an English class because everyone had to learn English. Everyone was lumped into the same level, in fact there was no level system at all. Somewhat manageable from a teachers perspective but pretty hopeless in terms of meeting student needs.

That is sad how the fear of being embarrased takes precidence over dealing with problems. I'm sorry for the kid, as I suspect his mothers solution will be to force him to just study harder. Good on you for pointing out the obvious to her. Maybe she lost face, but it might get her thinking out of the bubble for once.

I think that happened to me - well, not quite as dramatically, but I'm sure that I used to favour my left hand until someone put a pencil in my right one and started teaching me to write.

I'm dyslexic with numbers sometimes - mainly when dialling phone numbers.There are many times when I'll dial a 5 instead of an 8 or something back to front even though I can clearly see (or know) what the number I'm supposed to be dialling is, sometimes I even say the numbers out loud and laugh when I see my finger going toward a 3 instead of a 5 (or whatever) regardless! I've even left messages on the wrong answering machines sometimes.... lol.gif lol.gif

It doesn't happen every day, but enough times to know that it's dyslexia of some kind.

I hope you can improve the situation there, Yama. Sometimes giving a sh#t seems to be the wrong thing in some peoples eyes. I find a few parents tend to neglect the needs of their children because it is 1. to much trouble

2. Embarrassing 3. They are afraid.

I did notice in a newspaper, maybe Japan Times that they were considering making medical neglect (not seeking medical help for children) a form of child abuse. Under this parents could be prosecuted!! Would this case be the same?

I don't know if it still happens. It happened to my boyfriend when he was a kid. He broke his right arm snowboarding a few years ago and has been writing with his left hand ever since.

Any left-handed Japanese out there?