Does anyone have any good recommendations for noise cancelling headphones - ones that don't go right in your ear. (Cost isn't too much of an issue, just want to find some that work and don't intrude my cavities too deeply)

I have a pair of Sony over-the-head ones which fold up, they have happily done me well for about 4 years. I recently bought another pair of Sony "street" style ones, thought they'd be easier to wear during the winter hat season but they don't fit me properly (wanna buy them?) so I never use them.

But actually, the sound quality of the over-the-head ones is definitely better. I think Sony have 2 models - mine's the cheaper model (no, they don't go inside the ears, only covering the outside). The other model is fully fledged totally-covering-the-ears cans, which felt like a bit of overkill for my portable travel needs. I think there's a few different brands doing them now, when I got mine Sony was the only choice. They're wonderful on airplanes and trains, really cut out a lot of noise.

Yes, I do, and this model usually comes with an extra jack that splits the stereo plug into 2 monos a la many airline seat jacks, so you can use it to watch your movies and actually hear what's being said. But if by chance it doesn't come with them anymore you can still buy the jack at the airport (and probably other places). I've gotten to the airport and forgotten to take the jack with me and bought one there. You can still listen on the plane without the jack, but it'll be mono in one ear only of course.

Sometimes the planes have a stereo mini input. Not my last flight last month on Qantas... I first got the idea about these when I had a business class trip to Thailand and they provided us with noise cancelling headphones, then a few years later when I saw a pair in the shop I grabbed them.

Also good for wandering around department and electronics stores and noisy streets.