I put this sad post in Off-Topic as that is where it belongs.

What a collection of fine snow resorts.

http://www.snowlion.freeuk.com/locationmap.html

Quote:
On any given weekend in the winter the chances of their being any skiing are about 50:50, or worse.
 Quote:
Thin snow - to get the most out of the conditions you may find yourself skiing on some very thin snow indeed - so stick to the drifts. Turning isn't easy on frozen grass so try and run straight if you hit it.

Boilerplate ice - this forms sometimes when snow is wetted by rainfall (or melted by the sun perhaps) and re-freezes with a skin of hard water ice - you need very sharp edges.

Rain - bring your coat.

Hardly Yuzawa (these places are not all in the same town!) but hey I didn't know about all this. Is it an elaborate joke? eek.gif

The only skiing I knew about in England was the fabulous Runcorn dry run near the station. lol.gif

Scotland has some stuff, but it cheaper (in terms of travel via plane) and easier to get to France. Plus I hear S-land snaps wrists, it gets really icy.

Here is the best shot I could find of England. Check out the tufts of grass.

swinhope1.jpg

I never knew! Cancel Hakuba, I'll be in Raise this Feb. \:D

"Enthusiastically styled as "England's premiere ski resort in the Helvellyn Massif" the steep slopes on Raise are ideal for aggressive skiers and boarders. There are easier runs for the rest of us, but the slopes are really too steep for beginners. The long walk in deters the crowds, but the run down to the valley is not to be missed (snow cover permitting). The high altitude gives an excellent snow record, however the weather can be inclement at 2700ft; that and the walk in mean it's not an ideal place for small children. Raise is in the middle of excellent ski mountaineering terrain"

Friend has been to Cairngorms, the little ski town at the bottom is called Aviemore I think. It is in fact

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/aviemore/aviemore/

Had a blast by all accounts. He said the season is usually quite short and not masses of snow like we might be used to but he was lucky when he went and had no problems. Beautiful area apparently.