sho-chu...the pleasures of...

The recent thread about how much you spend a month on alcohol got me thinking. I spend way too much on alcohol, even though I mainly drink at home these days. I can't drink that happo-shu and have tended to stick with beer. Problem is that beer is quite pricey.Add to that the fact that readily available commercial brews aren't that special and it begins to seem like a very extravagent waste of money.

Fellow budget drunkards I have found the solution!I have seen the future and the future is sho-chu clap.gif

Welcome to the club Davo! I too began drinking at friends bars as buying a bottle was the cheapest way to drink 4 nights a week!

Try using water instead of soda of you are counting the pennies and Ulon cha or FRESH green tea.

Shochu with Umeboshi and hot water is good in winter.

Which Shochu do you drink? Kome? Mugi? Imo? I tried Kuri shochu and didn't like it. Shiso shochu was pretty good. My friend told me Shochu with milk was good. I am very suspicious of it.

Ahhhh! I typed a big shochu story and lost it all. Here is the short version.

There is a small eatery in down town Tokyo that I would visit. They had a bottle of working class shochu on the shelf with my name written on it. Most regular punters had a bottle with their name written on it. I was new to Japan and very proud of my katakana efforts. When I walked in they would get my bottle off the shelf and give it to me along with a big think of ice, some ice grabbing things (mini tongs) and a big thing of cold water with slices of lemon. It was a nice way to get drunk, although I am sure it ws positively working class of me to drink that brand.

Check out the nice movie, this is the stuff I used to drink (it was really hard for me to find this page so please do make it worth while and watch the movie).

http://www.suntory.co.jp/sho-chu/kyougetsu/

infomation_16.gif

oooooo, I see that a new upmarket version of my old shochu friend has been released. I will be in Tokyo next month.... might have to make the effort to get pissed on it.

8791.jpg

Weegeoff, shouchu is distilled starch spirit similar to vodka, but with a strength generally lower than vodka.

slow, I tried some shisho shouchu (try saying that quickly 5 times!) from Hokkaido and thought it surpassingly vile. It's one of the few types of booze where I've been really tempted to cut out the middleman by pouring it straight down the toilet.

I like imo, kuri, and goma best, though anything else will do. Shouchu purists will tell you that it's a waste to drink good shouchu watered down, and that it's best served straight and chilled (I take these kind of recommendations very lightly myself). I'm sure that doing without all the water will result in far more headaches the next day.

Massive fan of both Umeschu and Shin Lu CHu in summer!! Heaps of ice on the rocks for the Umeschu and Ginger Ale and ice with the Shin Lu Chu......and fantastic bargain at about 700yen a bottle!!! clap.gif Not quite as good as Pimms and lemonade back at home out in the sun on the banks of a river though!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhh.....anyone for a spot of punting!

Indo, it's almost as good with the water. I'm on the Oni Koroshi brand. Shame it has a bad effect on some people, I can't believe how kind it is to me. Trick is not to mix your drinks generally.