Just finished reading the newspaper article on this. The boarder who died worked in a hotel in Hakuba. He was in a group of 6. It seems like the avalanche was started by skiers coming down after them. One of the 2 skiers caught said that as he was skiing down he saw an avy starting on his left and he went to go the other way but got hit by the avy right then. He was buried but managed to make an airhole with his hand and call for help. He was buried about 30 mins. They said that there were 50-60 skiers in the area and people were using their ski poles to probe. One of the skiers has a broken leg. No mention of beacons...

does this mean beacon: 電波発信装置? i think so

Out of the older group, 2 of 4 had them, and 1 had a shovel.

didn't say if anyone in the 34-year-old's group of 6 had beacons...so are we to assume that they didn't have them?

http://www2.knb.ne.jp/news/20070418_11043.htm

20 cms of fresh fell on the 17th which apparently slid.

kuma, which article did you read?

• 3 weeks later...

it was taken a day or two after the avalanche.

(raicho is the slope with the slide on the left.)

looks like there was another slide on the next slope over, but no reports of any injuries on that one

• 2 weeks later...

I actually saw a picture of that same spot another year in a mag. It was a LOT more filled in, you could not know there was a deep valley under. It seems the lack of snow this year may have made the convex feature a lot more preminent and less safe. That's assuming I am right about the pic I saw being the same spot as well, but pretty sure.

• 3 months later...