The inbounds slides are happening on a scary layer in the northwest snow pack.

Mamabear does not need to run out and gear up to protect her kids. A shovel alone wont do crap in a slide. youll need to spend 3000 bucks gearing the family up for something that wont happen. Stay on piste. Enter through gates if you are riding inbounds trees. If you follow those guidelines then dont worry. If you are hiking to a peak or cutting into no go terrain then you should be ready to save yourself.

The present NA snowpack is going to see many closed runs for a while. The Avies that happened, happened an hour or more after the areas were opened and had skier traffic. That type of instability is quite rare.

As far as I know there has never been an inbounds avie that has killed anyone in Niseko. And the only avvies that have caused deaths are in areas that are strictly off limits.

Mama unless you are climbing the peak and hitting some of the back bowls or Jacksons there is little chance of you coming into contact with an avvie. The bus ride from the airport was probably far more dangerous \:\)

Yeah yeah - I know that... my point is that as a newbie to the sport I am keen to make sure I know as much about safety as I need (and more)- that is the super responsible person in me.

Then there is the other me - the one that sent the kids home with Dad for a hot chocolate today and while everyone else ditched me for the comforts of a heater, convinced my 14 yr old to ride with me one more time. At the top of the lift we ditched each other and just went to POW heaven for a short while. One run - no kids - and pushing myself to my personal limits. Ohhh yeah..in bounds - but THAT is what *I* am talking about!

• 4 weeks later...

SerreChe

There's nothing secret about the rumour. It's covered in the book written by the widow of one of the people who died in the avalanche(雪煙 by こすが聖絵). The rumour is that Simon and his group may have inadvertently set off the avalanche that killed those two people.

The widow makes a point of saying that no one is ever going to know the truth for sure, and that assigning blame won't bring her husband back. The rumour has been going on since the day of the avalanche, but some of the locals don't feel quite as charitable as the widow, especially since three of the Japanese guides from that trip have just been hit with "professional negligence resulting in death or injury".

With the 1 year anniversary since the avalanche around the corner, the actions of all the players involved that day (and subsequently) have been speculated on, picked apart, and judgements passed by any number of locals here. The fact of the matter is that no one is ever going to know for sure what happened.

I know it's easy to take the high moral ground from the comfort of an armchair, but for me, this whole tragedy just keeps reminding me that you should never place blind trust in any guide. Learn what you need to to make your own decisions, and don't let your ego lead you to places that put you or those around you in the path of danger.

Yes I've heard the same story.

A distinct possibility, but impossible to verify and as stated it's not going to bring back anyone. Tragic all round.

About slides in-bounds. Was discussed on here a coupla years back when it happened BIG time at Mizuho in Shimane.

The whole of Big Morning intermediate(?) course (wide, long and max @ 20deg) cracked a metre deep at the top and slid 100's of metres.

No extreme conditions.

Incredibly lucky it wasn't a Sunday as everyone in Japan would have never forgotten the name if it was.

So the simple answer is any shit can happen anytime and don't get too smug about what you think you know.

But preparation is certainly the way to go. Got my earthquake survival pack by the door.

If Simons group did start the avalanche as rumoured, then why no one in Simons group didn't get caught?

And anyway, regardless of who started the avalanche, when you guide a group of people you have to make sure that you are not exposing them to danger not only when they are skiing down a slope but also when you are traversing an area with avalanche terrain hanging above you.

I went on a tour with the guides from Sukayu (the ones involved in this incident) I was afraid for my life to the extent that my wife and I took measures to try and provide for our own safety. We took turns going right to the front of the group (of about 30) and the other went right at the back to spot the person in front (as we were the only two with beacons). Once the first person got to the bottom they had to try and find a safe place to stop and wait (while trying not to get too far from the rest of the group who were parked right where any potential avalanche would end up) There were times though when we could not even provide for our own safety. i.e When the entire group was lead together onto a slope steep enough to avalanche. At that exposed moment the snowboard group led by other Sukayu guides who had snowshoed to the top of the slope we traversed onto, dropped in over a convex roll right above the 30 people parked in the middle of the slope. I just about shat myself.

Earlier when I was finding out if the guides had beacons on or not (as part of our self-rescue plan) the guide said that they did not have them. He said he thought they should have them but the boss thought that they didn’t need them because they only went out when it was safe. We left that day saying that people were going to die there - the very next year they did.

That they can have the nerve to try and blame this tragedy on anyone but themselves is shameful. I liked the guides, they were good guys and fun to hang out with and watch ski movies with but someone needs to get prosecuted to send some sort of message to the "guide" industry

Originally Posted By: Captain Stag
That they can have the nerve to try and blame this tragedy on anyone but themselves is shameful. I liked the guides, they were good guys and fun to hang out with and watch ski movies with but someone needs to get prosecuted to send some sort of message to the "guide" industry

It's not the guides who are assigning blame elsewhere. For that matter, the locals aren't really laying blame elsewhere per se. It's more that they question anyones wisdom in going out there that day. I'll be honest and say that I fall into that camp myself.

I remember that day very well because with the amount of fresh snow we had I had planned on taking the day off and going up to the mountain. When I looked at the weather forecast early that morning though, it was obvious that there was a very big and windy low pressure system that was going to sit over the Hakkoda range that day. The Hakkoda ropeway closes when wind speeds reach 25 metres per second (or about 90km per hour). I knew that this was going to happen by no later than mid-morning, so decided to just go to work instead.

At the time, I was working in the same building as the prefectural police headquarters, so when the police were notified it didn't take long to hear that there was something wrong up at Hakkoda. I was worried that people I knew might be up there so I was trying to find out as much as I could without getting in anyones way. That's when reports started coming through that foreigners were involved. I was also checking the Hakkoda ropeway website to see if they had any information. By this stage the wind speed was registering at 37m/second (about 133 km/hr).

What happened was a tragedy, but to this day I believe that every guide on the mountain that day bears responsibility for it. If they had taken a glance at the weather charts that day it would have been bleeding obvious that the weather was going to close in on them all, and badly. The alternative, that they didn't bother to look at, or didn't know how to read a weather map, pretty much by definition means they should have no right to guide anyone anywhere.

Skiing in poor visibility is part and parcel of skiing at Hakkoda. No one denies this, and anyone who has spent any amount of time on the mountain just learns to deal with it (or, indeed, revel in it). But it's one thing to know the terrain well, take responsibility for yourself and make judgement calls about what you as an individual are going to do. It's another thing when other people put their trust in you because they believe that you will make the right decisions for them and keep them out of harms way; when clients have limited knowledge of the terrain and/or experience in the prevailing conditions.

I firmly believe that hubris, and an understandable (but misguided) desire to satisfy customers who had booked out tours weeks in advance (on the part of all of the guides there that day) were what caused that accident. I've kept my mouth shut about this for the past year because I couldn't see the point of pointing fingers. But now every weekend I see skiers and boarders who are blissful in their ignorance piling out of the ropeway to follow their guide, like ducklings following their mother. I want to beg them to learn how to look after themselves rather than trusting that their guide has the know-how and judgement to keep them all safe.

I also believe that people should be willing to stand by the words that they write, even in an anonymous forum. If anyone wants to call me on it, feel free. I'm the gaijin girl telemarker in the orange jacket and grey helmet sitting with the old folk around the stove at the bottom of the ropeway.