Hi crew, i am thinking about nerding out and buying a gps unit, one that i could use in the backcountry. Anyone have any experience they could lend me? what unit? and so on. cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on how much you need. Got me a Garmin ETrex VistaC, which is great in Oz and Nth Am, because you can download pretty detailed maps (including topographic for Nth Am) directly onto the unit. No downloadable maps for Japan yet, though. Gives locality to +/-4 metres. It's a pretty highly spec'd unit, but if you carry a detailed paper topographic map with you (which you probably should), then a more basic unit (i.e. coordinates only) should suffice, and you can go smaller/lighter. If you want to track your movements for later reference, the tracks can be downloaded from the unit onto mapping software or even Google Earth Plus, overlayed on the satellite image. Again, not so exciting in Japan, because the resolution is pretty bad outside the metro areas.

I bought the Etrex Summit which is perfect for ski applications in Oz and Japan backcountry. It only has a grey LCD (backlit) screen and no mapping but has altimeter, barometer and digital compass built in. It's light and robust and best of all cheap! (I got mine off Ebay US for $100US)The altimeter is useful when skiing outta bounds to tell where the base of lift/car park/road etc so as to maximise run down before traversing back.

I just found a CD which has detailed road and topo maps for japan, and can be downloaded onto the Garmin devices. I've put in an order, but haven't seen the software up and running. If the sample screens are accurate though, looks pretty cool for B/C navigation.

UUD

• 3 weeks later...

The topo maps on the software are excellent, and based on the same maps as in the "Color topo maps" post in this forum. Comes up reasonably well on the GPS unit, but screen size/resolution might be a problem (not sure as I haven't taken it out in the field yet). You may be better off getting the Etrex Summit (which is a LOT cheaper than the Vista C), and carry hard copies of the maps for reference. Both units feature an altimeter and compass.

• 1 month later...

i would always carry one as a backup anyway, but i would likely have to take it out to verify the reading when i dense trees or can't get a good link.

the gps based altimeter is not as precise as a real one but i figure that it should be sufficient.

The compass doesn't depend on GPS link, so the back up would only be required if your batteries run out in the field. I agree that the GPS altimeter should be accurate enough, if properly calibrated, and WAAS enabled, and may be more accurate than the barometric altimeter, I reckon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...