Does this exist here? (In Hakuba in particular)?

I was talking with a guy in the States and he was telling me that over there it's the norm to demo skis from a shop near the slopes and the price you pay for demoing goes toward purchase if you purchase any of the skis you demo.

Sure, it's going to be more pricey to buy on the slopes, but it would be nice to try before you buy...

If they do it here anyone know names of shops? (to phone them first to see what models they're demoing).

sunrise,

Yup, they got em, and Im sure in Hakuba this winter you would be able to try out a variety of skis - I just dont know what shops/hotels have the best selection. Maybe somebody else could fill you in. I only know about Hokkaido places. I thought you were buying today? confused.gif

thanks for the heads up Yama. Today I'm planning on checking out what's around Tokyo, not necessarily buying. I've fairly much narrowed down my choices to 4 skis. The guy in the states I mentioned highly recommended demoing first if at all possible. Makes sense to me, so I'm considering it, specially if the cost goes toward a purchase. But I'd like to find out if they have the skis I'm interested in trying of course. I'd hate to get up there and find that none of my choices are avaliable anywhere.

A discount is probably not going to happen, but Goryu has a big Salomon Station. I think they rent out new gear. I don't go to Happo all that often, but I've seen new skis for test rent there too.

The shop Yamatoya near the station has demo days, but only once or twice a season and usually at one of the minor resorts.

I think people stick around US resorts longer than Japanese ones, so that's why shops can offer additional services. Here, everyone's off home in a flash.

Thanks for the info Mr W. Doesn't sound like it's going to work out. The skis I'm interested aren't Sallys. Funny how it's different in different places. Maybe Hokkaido is better for that?

I wonder what Happo has.

Namabiru - Rusutsu has Salomon demos at certain times of the season. You might be able to find out by contacting the resort. Ask for a guy named Ito, he speaks English and he should know about it. But if you're after other skis, forget it. It's a Salomon one-horse town out there.

Sunny (and anyone else interested)

The best thing to do is to look at the website of the maker of the boards you fancy and see where they have their demo days (shijoukai 試乗会). If X skis has a demo at Y resort, X will announce it weeks in advance, while Y may not announce it at all.

Of course, your best move is to buy Fattys skis so his missus can stand there filming him and the crew with a new video camera lol.gif lol.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by sunrise:

Namabiru - Rusutsu has Salomon demos at certain times of the season. You might be able to find out by contacting the resort. Ask for a guy named Ito, he speaks English and he should know about it. But if you're after other skis, forget it. It's a Salomon one-horse town out there.
Cheers for the advice!

Hey, fats,

Heh, I thought the same thing after your ski offer - 2 sets of skis at those prices I could afford. But at the time the main reason I didn't grab your PRs is that they, plus bindings were going to set me back around ¥50,000, which is fine if that was the only pair of skis I was going to buy this season, but if I was going to to also get something for piste it would get too costly (along with getting custom liners for my boots too - owch, pricey), so I was looking for something a little more versatile and can't really afford to buy PRs plus something else (at a new/ near new price). Or at least I thought that they weren't supposed to be so versatile on the groomed, I could be wrong about that. I've been learning more about skis in the past weeks. Maybe I didn't have enough info on them at the time. If so, oh well, live and learn.

I'd jump at your Rossi offer in a flash but I took a look at the specs and I already know I wouldn't be able to ski well in them, at 65 they'll be too unstable (and a bit short) for me unfortunately. Last season before I settled on the Crossmaxs (69), they gave me several other pairs of carving skis which were narrower underfoot and with my knock-knee tendencies they just felt way too unstable for me so I switched them for the Crossmax. I need something a bit wider. Oh well, thanks so much again for the offer. I would have loved to help you buy your video cam.

Sure, I'm interested in the Phat Luvs, though I'm also looking at some other skis too, at 75 or maybe even the Legend 8000s. I'm still not 100% decided at what to get, specially since now I'm also going to Hokkaido, which I hadn't expected a few weeks ago. Looks like I'll get more chances to ski off piste this season than I'd originally expected (actually I was planning to go to Oz in Feb, or Jan, didn't think I"d even be skiing during Jan or Feb).

I'm sure I'll figure it out soon. Availability here may be one factor involved.

Thanks again. You probably just think I'm a nutter by now. Ask anyone who knows me, I am lol.gif

Got completely hammered yesterday, started drinking beer at noon and didnt stop until 3am. Had 4 beers on the Shink, drank 4 bottles of amazing red wine at my mates place (he imports some great stuff), hit happy hour at 6 in the city and kept going. Got a bit of a cough today \:D lol.gif