today ft, dizzy, kumapix, fubuki and ebc headed to goryu first thing to hike and ski something..... we got up on the gondola, to find the top lift access shut, so we skiied down to access via 47, and while we did the goryu gondola closed completely. so, after dizzy shouted VERY loudly at the ticket lady to get his money back, we jumped in the cars and headed to happo. all lifts open, go go go. heads down we hiked on through gale force winds to the first hut to drop into an area called oshidashi, with the intention ending up at the 'big triangle' see photo......

eskimobasecamp_229.jpg

..... some very sweet pow turns were had at the initial drop in, good snow up there.... until we ran into a guided group of about 15 people, going one at a time (good to see), but falling over on every turn (not so good to see). without wanting to upset their group/cause unnecessary danger by passing them, we headed up onto the safe zone ridge to our right. it was extremely wind scoured and icy. we moved further and further in this direction and discovered a huge recent slide in the next gully over. the gale force winds continued to blow as we remained on the steep icy ridge (great fun with powder boards and fat skis) - FT roped up and dug a pit, dropped dizzy's shovel handle down a slope and made some decisions, we needed a safe way out. the rope came out again, and he cut the snow at the bowl immediately below us. 4m up the slope from FT, i got a perfect view of the the whole thing fracture and crack beneath him - it went seriously fast to the valley floor, splitting into two and running out between a huge rock outcrop.... it was big, billows of white cloud everywhere...... still gale force winds. we traverse across the adjecent slope one at a time heading back into the guts of oshidashi and get some good pow turns, through some trees then down a big open section. near the bottom we all hit a little drop, with a nice bail by fubuki lol. then we started on our epic hike out...... with no cars parked at the exit..... wicked.....

eskimobasecamp_230.jpg

FT, fubuki and dizzy after the river crossing....

eskimobasecamp_231.jpg

EBC on the way back to happo gondola.....

eskimobasecamp_232.jpg

.... we jumped on the happo gondola and did an avalanche gate line, heavy horrible powder, time to go home.

thanks to everyone for a good day out, it was a learning experience for all. big shout out to FT thumbsup.gif

sorry for the small, slightly un-interesting photos - just a few phone shots, it really wasn't a photo taking day at all. harass dizzy if you wanna see more!! ;\)

Nice, you guys had a good day. I was skiing with Fubuki's GF and got a message from dizzy, he said heading to the North face. We were wondering where you guys were skiing. It was really windy and most lifts at the top of Happo stopped around 1pm, we decided to go home and have a nice lunch with Phatluv. \:\)

no worries I knew we werent going in the best conditions. i had hope that things would be more stable down low as there usally isnt very much wind there. Thanks for to the rope team and sorry dizzy that was a brain fart. At no point was i scared on that rope.

Nice read and I'm going to be the armchair judge here

WTF guys

Guess it's one of those had to be there kind of things

There are not many people I'd trust in a situation like that but FT is one of them

Did you hitch back to the resort after?

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
Nice read and I'm going to be the armchair judge here

WTF guys
Guess it's one of those had to be there kind of things
There are not many people I'd trust in a situation like that but FT is one of them

Did you hitch back to the resort after?
no well you probably didn't want to be there, the hike was comedy in gale force winds but totally fine, the start fun, the middle verging on ummmmm (no comment), the end very nice.... followed by a LONG walk all the way back to happo gondola.

very very very glad FT was there for that middle section.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
best is FT's bc setup: helmet, avalung, pack -> he's ready for any carpark contingency.

EBC you're in the shot too but you are out of focus lol.gif
out of focus?! what?!!! actually i have photos of you too, but they are also out of focus, the sun was reflecting off your 'subtley purple' hair too much lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif
 Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:

What does everybody else bring (not gear) when they are out there?
we are all in the FT Fan club and we just follow him around all day. We ooh and ahh when he drops shovel handles and manages to get mcdonalds mayo all over his face :p

I feel so needed ahh lol.

Toque we were on an ice ridge of safety and getting 20 turns in then getting back on the safe icy ridge.

The area i was trying to get to was bad once I got there I knew it but I wanted to check it out anyways. I brought the rope and the guys locked me in while i dug a pit and also while I ski cut the thing. (bought a new rope from rappie this year) The whole time we still had the icy ridge to ski out on.

This season Ive spent everyday hiking pretty much and have a gauge on where i am and what i want to do. Im planning 4 routes in head everytime. on this route we ended up sking plan A all the way then switching to a plan c route at the bottom. I didnt panic or rush anything while I was up there. (thats why people got a bit cold) I took my time digging a quick pit and loosing a handle with a saw.

That pit showed good bounding but neddles in the pack that I didnt like. Had it been me and you I wouldve skied down a skinny ridge to a safe zone then dropped in from there playing on the ridge the whole way. That ridge was only made for 1 or 2 people really so that option was out.

The west facing slope had the same neddles (didnt know it) but it was very light wind blown in snow. we had been sking heavily skied areas facing the same direction so I thought that it might be safe. Not safe enough to not cut it without beening roped up. Im glad I did cause i went within 3 meters of me cutting the whole slope. I was never pulled and it all went below me. from there is was about me getting away from the next possible slide area so I stayed roped up untill i was in safety.

horrible conditions, excellent day out.

it's always a learning process. no worries about my shovel handle, ft. you can replace things not people. i wanted that triangle, but two things were telling me don't go and only one things was telling to go. still, we found good stuff to ski.