I just met a bunch of people last night who said they would be going to Hakuba next week. They are mainly snowboarders and they said they would like to do a one day BC guided tour while they are there. So I thought I would recommend Evergreen to them but just thought I would ask whether there are any others besides Evergreen who are worth recommending or even if anyone who like to take them on privately?

I had a bad experience with Evergreen last week.

I think the key is to make sure of the standard of people across the whole tour because they will cater to the lowest level. Also try (often hard with weather unpredictability) to go on a day when the snow pack will be more stable (ie. not when snowing or within 24-48 hours of snow finishing) as if the avi potential is high they will not take you to the terrain you are hoping for (and rightly so I guess because of the risk). There is another company (bluecat??) in town opposite the Post office (It has a pair of K2 pontoons and a pairt of Line Prophet 130s in the window), some people have suggested they may be better.

It is the first time I hear a complaint about them. I have never used them but have heard good feedback.

Weather is not their fault, they are in charge of your safety. Going with a group of people you do not know is always a gamble and they cannot leave the weakest boarder/hiker/skier just to entertain the better ones. When I checked their website, I saw they divides trips per ability. Unfortunately if somebody declares himself a good boarder/hiker when he is not up to scratch and goes with a group that is doing harder stuff then he will obviously impede other people's fun. This once again is not Evergreen's fault, it is a problem that occurs everywhere in the world when you go on a guided tour. When you have people of different abilities arguing on a guided tour it is hell, both for the customers and especially for the guide.

I guess when you run a business like theirs, safety is paramount and you can never have 100% customer satisfaction.

I am sure that with the experience you had they will not let that person on the 'advanced' trip again, too bad you had to be the guinea pig for it. Not the tour company's fault but the fault of the person who mis-judged / mis-represented his abilities. I understand you felt upset given your expectations and what you paid. Still I hope you behaved like a gentleman on the tour. On the other hand, if a tour company for commercial purposes allows persons of the wrong abilities on a tour then there is indeed a problem. I was not there so I cannot judge.

Using another outfit will not solve the risk of encountering the problem you had.

The best is to organize a restricted tour with buddies of your abilities that you know. May be slightly more expensive but you get what you pay for.

I am certain your next experiences regardless of the outfit will be a better one.

That's for the feedback, timcraig.

SerreChe, I totally agree with you about getting screwed as a result of people claiming their ability to be something it is not. The group I brought over during Christmas had a few people whom I hadn't known before and there were at least 4 whom I consider to be beginners having now watched them ski/board but nevertheless claimed they were intermediate and didn't need lessons. I had a tough time during my first outing with them because they couldn't handle Happo (the lower parts were not open yet) and realize I should have sent them to Tsugaike that day instead.

SerreChe, I agree with what you are saying. Not sure if you are having a go at me?

We were disappointed with the tour because we were put in with people of lower ability when we were led to believe that they would be better. I think in the washup it may be that they said they were better than they were. Evergreen has 3 levels of tours. We paid for the intermediate one and the other group of people when we arrived at the top of the hike admitted to not having skied powder before. I think we felt a bit hard done by at this point. I have been away for a week and my friends have talked to the owner of Evergreen in the meantime and he has said he will take us on another tour for free in Feb (unfortunately I will be gone), whicj I think is great and thanks to Evergreen for this.

In my experience it is best to go with a bunch of your own people whose abilities you know and are equal and you will have a good time. If you can get a day where the BC is stable and the weather good (all luck/witchcraft weather forecast) all the better.

Service/Professionalism of Evergreen was good, just the inappropriate grouping was poor (probably not Evergreen's fault).

Sorry TC missed you reply. I was not having a go at you. I think it was the right thing to have a chat with the boys/girls at Evergreen. I think it is really cool of them to make the offer for the feb trip even if what happened to you was out of their control. Always glad to see an unhappy situation turn into a happy one.

You think arrangine a boarding trip is hard! try a surf charter!

My rule is only with mates but even then it becomes a hassle, as goofy's want to ride the Lefts and Naturals want the rights... even at the same level it's a lose^lose situation.. try finding 8 goofy mates that can make a trip!

Bluecliff and the like also do some recon trips to suss out their clients. The best thing about this is that st least the company (Evergreen) is trying to find a solution to the problem.

You also have to remember that the north face of happo have killed many many many people. Also the area that you wanted to ski on the day has had people killed as well. 3 people last year in march killed within sight of your planned line.

Talk to Evergreen about next season if you miss this one.

Have to update on the situation.

Evergreen have come through in a big way.

Yesterday was my last day in Hakuba and the night before Dave from Evergreen rang up and said there was a tour going the next day (yesterday) with some experienced riders who were doing some filming/still shots and we could tag along. Myself and another of our original group took up the offer (unfortunately another participant who was keen for the make up trip has done his knee!!).

Yesterday was perfect weather up top, good group, 30cm snow on top of stable snow pack.

Hiked above Happo for 2 hours and dropped in to some 35-40 degree slopes with boot deep snow.

Was pretty cool riding and great weather + possibly could get some shots from the photographers or be in the newspaper/mags at home in Australia!!!!

Dave was a great guide, laid back, knowledgable and safe.

Dropped a few pillows lower doan and got some great pics of our own.

Was my first time in North side happo BC and I had a great day. Can fly home tonight a happy man.

All came out well!!

And many thanks to Evergreen for being so understanding and puting things right.