Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows whether it would be cheaper to buy all my snowgear in Japan (most likely Tokyo) instead of buying it in Australia. I am looking into buying a snowboard, bindings and boots.

Thanks

BLK

You can get stuff a sales pretty cheap here, particularly last season gear. I picked up a Lib Tech board for 30,000man (about $380 AUS) less than half price. Plus last years boots/bindings I seen around 15,000man ($180).

New stuff is usually not so cheap, but if you have time to shop around- definetly cheaper!

You will also get about 100 times the range and selection in Japan. Buy in Japan. Australia is not a snow country and the retail options reflect that. However, Melbourne/Sydney has a bigger range than in London. But then London is a massive 90 minute flight from Switzerland so you can understand why no one wants any snow stuff here wakaranai.gif . I sometimes wonder if the British ever noticed the Continent at all. The UK may as well be in the middle of the Indian Ocean. And I thought that Japan was an isolationist-minded island in their region! They are positively integrated compared to the Brits within Europe.

Way off topic, I felt like an immature grumble.

Quote:
Originally posted by case:
Wondering this myself.... although i really need to know where the best places are in sapporo for snowboarding equip.
If you're close to Niseko, try the township of Kutchan - there are a few shops there that sell REALLY inexpensive equip. (At least, compared to Oz.)

http://www.town.kutchan.hokkaido.jp/town/kankoujouhou/kankou/kankou-english/map/town1.asp

(Beware that boot sizes may be a problem.)

Good Luck.

After our Niseko ski trip in March this year, my friends and I went to Tokyo for a while.

Had a great time looking at all the gear in Jimbocho.

It was near the end of the season so my girlfriend got a new board & bindings very cheap.

We did however notice that most of the gear were in smaller sizes - so personally I'll still be ordering my stuff over the internet from the US before next years trip.