The feeble cry of the most incompetent people in Japan.

Time for another whinge about the utter ineptitude of lifties.

At Hakuba 47 yesterday for some inexplicable reason they removed the singles line from the Line-C Quad and it (singles line) had been working very well up until then. The queue built up to 15 mins long and there were chairs going up with sometimes only 1 or 2 people per chair and the muppets were standing vacantly their uttering their "hai dozo" chant not attempting at all to group people or load each chair. They were standing there doing Sweet FA- all of them.

One moron I asked "where is the single line?" his answer - kawarimashita, "it changed", I felt like headbutting him

Its the absolute worse kind of total incomptence that drives me nuts.

At one point I was standing by my friend and a young Japanese couple at the front, 4 people no worries, my friend I moved forward and the selfish couple stayed back and got a chair to themselves behind us. What did the lifties do? yes you guessed it absolutely nothing just stood their vacantly chanting hai dozo hai dozo hai dozo

Also on the other old fixed grip lifts why were they sweeping every seat, all day yesterday on perfect sunny day when every seat was clean and dry and didnt need sweeping at all? they one and only thing they were doing was absolutely useless.

hai dozo hai dozo hai dozo hai dozo.

I was a liftie for a season I know the score.

I was a liftie/Gondy op for season in Colorado, we made sure each chair went up full at peak times and with Gondola we jammed six in every cabin if there was a line, it used to piss young snowboarders off, they would piss and moan as we loaded up their cabin ( they wanted to blaze in the "Gonjula") We were active and vocal grouping people, the total opposite of the shenagens here.

No-one pays there hard earned cash to stand in a line needlessly

That's not just hakuba. and perhaps not just japan. Nonetheless, I've learned to caress the outside of the line and just go in. Nobody ever says anything. I have no problem cutting in line when chairs start getting skipped, or loaded half-full on busy days. If you get asked to stop cutting, simply point at the empty seats.

Also, many of the people at the resorts are not in a hurry or even have the ability to move efficiently with all their gear on. for many (perhaps most) skiing is purely a social thing. (the winter golf) A pushy lifty making sure all chairs are full would be viewed as mildly rude in Japan, imo. Personally, I think the lifties in Japan have more manners than any liftie in any other country I have skied. (us, canada, nz)They don't know how to bump chairs, but I know how to do it myself.

Quote:
Also, many of the people at the resorts are not in a hurry or even have the ability to move efficiently with all their gear on. for many (perhaps most) skiing is purely a social thing. (the winter golf) A pushy lifty making sure all chairs are full would be viewed as mildly rude in Japan, imo. Personally, I think the lifties in Japan have more manners than any liftie in any other country I have skied. (us, canada, nz)They don't know how to bump chairs, but I know how to do it myself.
Sounds like you're citing cultural differences... "not good or bad --just different" --something like that. I say 'screw that' --If there's a 15 minute queue, then load up those lifts. Anything else is just backward.
 Quote:
Originally posted by ger:
 Quote:
Sounds like you're citing cultural differences... "not good or bad --just different" --something like that. I say 'screw that' --If there's a 15 minute queue, then load up those lifts. Anything else is just backward.
I agree with you, but saying 'screw that' isn't going to get them to do it any faster, hence cutting line and finding a way to get what you want without demanding it from them.

Cutting in line is another thing you see here. Someone would kick your ass if you tried that back home on a busy day. One of the advantages of skiing is that you can use your poles to halt line cutters in a subtle passive/aggressive sort of way. :p

It gets a bit stupid sometimes. I was in the singles queue and tried to join a couple on a quad. The couple just let me on and waited for the next one. I had the quad to myself and because I joined from the singles, it felt like I was cutting line. Nobody gave a toss.