I'm looking into buying a ski bag with rollers that can hold boots and wear. It'll make my life easier on public transport.

It's pretty common with snowboarders here, and those bags are available for about 15000 yen from various manufacturers.

But for some reason I can't find ski ones that are in the same price range. The two I found are significantly more expensive (though they look nice).

SOS 26000 yen

http://www.sossportswear.com/shop/item_detail.cgi?item=9901

Ogasaka ID-one 30000 yen

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/websports/424421/678325/705783/#732292

I'm tempted to buy a snowboard one because my skiis would fit in them anyways, but can't figure out how the ski boots would fit in them without damaging the skis (the ski bags have dedicated ski compartments, which I guess could explain the higher price).

Anyone use ski bags like these, or those snowboard bags for skis?

Thanks for all the info guys.

thursday, the K2 online shop has the bags you mentioned.

http://www.k2japan.com/e_shop/e_shop.php#bag

So, as samurai says, you just lay the skiis flat and the boots easily fit in front of the bindings? I can't get a grasp of the dimension of these bags compared to my skiis and boots (padded with my wear, I assume) - same goes with the dakine bag.

Thanks again \:\)

Now, the weight allowance, that'll be tight. I'll be taking one set with boots in the ski bag and a large roller case with clothes and a back pack to take onboard. Should be a bout 30kgs in total.

Then have to lug these pieces to the coach, then off the coach, through the car park to my hotel. Better get in shape I think.

Yeah, I'm flying to Vancouver next year, so I need to be careful about weight allowance too eh. Air Canada, despite their shatty planes and service, seem to be generous with winter sports equipment, but I haven't tried heavy ski bags yet.

holo, do your ski boots fit into the board bag's boot pockets, or do you just wrap them and put them in the main compartment along with your skis?

Quote:
Originally posted by thursday:
mine survived 3 flights so far. Don't forget to padlock your zippers.
If you padlock the zippers to the states, you may be required to unlock them. Ask the check-in host.

Better to use coloured electrical cable ties (plastic) than padlocks.

Padlocks have a few inherent problems - particularly if ya lose the keys, they get caught on machinery and rip your bag to shreds, or 'security' wanna check the contents out = they simply cut it off anyway.

Cable ties allows easy access, but it is obvious that the bag has been tampered with if they're missing - just need to carry a few if you do multiple flights = low weight and bulk.

now there's a prob with the ties. You need to cut them off. And that means you need to pack a cutter in you luggage. And that means "what are you doing with a cutter in your luggage?" after it's x-rayed.

I use padlock 'cos I don't want my things to fall out and of course if inspected, have to unlock.

Quote:
Originally posted by thursday:
now there's a prob with the ties. You need to cut them off. And that means you need to pack a cutter in you luggage. And that means "what are you doing with a cutter in your luggage?" after it's x-rayed.

I use padlock 'cos I don't want my things to fall out and of course if inspected, have to unlock.
Ties can be cut with nail clippers or anything sharp - which is usually available once you get to where you're going.

If the bag requires a security inspection, it is likely to be done behind the scenes - before it's put on the carosel, so the lock will be replaced with a numbered plastic tag which is very much like a tie. I've been there an done that in the USA/Hawaii.
  • 2 months later...

i got myself another case through sort of a garage sale - "K2 Speed Ski Roller"

well, i searched through the internet and found out that this can hold "two pairs" of skis:

http://www.k2skis.com/accy/luggage/default.asp?ProductID=37

however, i was thinking of using this case to hold both my 170cm-long carving ski, and my boots (sole size of 324mm) as well (same as number9 above) - and im thinking how to do this...

samurai mentioned about laying the skis flat, and putting the boots in front of the bindings. unfortunately, i cant seem to exactly imagine how would this be?

also, since thursday seems to also have a K2 wheel bag - i was wondering if he (or anyone) can post a picture on how to setup your gear inside the bag?

thanks in advanced...!!!

I've used both tie wraps and locks...if you use tie wraps, just use nail clippers to cut it off. There are special TSA locks that can be opened by security but still secure otherwise. If the TSA want to jack your band new K2's - they'll do it no matter what kind of lock you put on your bag. The department of homeland insecurity always opens my lock and goes thru my sh#t...punks!

Since I don’t have a photo of how I packed last time, I’ll try to describe it.

Our skis are the wider type so sole facing bottom of bags doesn’t fit. I tied them sole to sole and wrapped the bindings with some clothes. Then placed the skis with bindings parallel to the bottom of bag. Since my wife’s skis are shorter, her bindings are lower so there’s room to place 2 pairs like this. Wrap the bindings well for protection and stuff more clothes over the ends and sides for the ski protection. Then strap tight so they don’t move around.

Some guys have posted that they have met nazi check-in staff who insist on sports bag for sports equipment only and they will not even allow clothes in the sports bag at chek-in. I have not come across this but bear it in mind just incase.

I use a pad lock to secure the zips but others use plastic ties as they might get security checked in places llike the US.