• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have ridden resort alone with headphones - yes, it is less safe, and makes any accident you have much more likely to be your fault, so you have to look more - just like driving a car, you can't hear shit then either you have to check everything visually, You just have to do the same when riding in resort. For example you know that you can't hear someone shouting that there is someone splattered in the landing of a jump, so you have to check visually that they have emerged (but often you can't hear anyway - hence the need to look for people's crossed arms visual signals anyway).

The only thing that makes me feel less safe is people crashing into you from behind, but;

1) you shouldn't really be stopped somewhere where this is likely.

2) not that many people ride faster than me and if they do not crashing into me is THEIR responsibility (just as i am responsible for not hitting everybody infront of me. basic rule of the piste) so that's not an issue.

3) you can still hear out of control beginner 90 degree edge death slide anyway over the music, before it hits you in the back of the legs.

The problem with headphones is not that they making riding in resort unreasonably dangerous, but that people are not good enough at piste safety etiquette anyway without them, so they make dangerous people worse.

Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
I'm 100% in the no headphones camp. Hate the things, and only ever wear them for skyping. I love to hear the sounds of skis and mountains. I very rarely listen to the radio in the car either. It's a bit like wearing a condom, and I don't like them either.

Every snowboarding punk should have one of these.

wtfghettoblastereditionew8.jpg
Is that you "skyping" Soub?

That would be a good new word: what u doin? oh, nothing, just skyping.

actually it sounds more like petty thievery:
my pass has expired, let's just skype that lift up to the park.
yeah bro, i skyped enough ketchup and mayo from the canteen to eat for lunch!

oh, happy days.

ps. As the concensus is against headphones, but allows music in cars, would it be ok for me to blast round resort carrying a ghetto blaster?

>One thing you forget AK is that as a boarder you have a large blind spot.

..which is what scares me regarding J-boarders who seem to lack the common sense to "look" where theyre riding...I cant even tell you if my gaijin mates are lookin cuz theyre always following my tracks :p \:D

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
yes to the ghetto blaster.
One thing you forget AK is that as a boarder you have a large blind spot. also, you cannot say that you go faster than everybody all the time. I'm sure you slow down sometimes.
In what way did I forget that in my post? I said you have to look all the time confused.gif

You have that blind spot whether you have headphones or not.

You cannot in any way rely on hearing to cover that blind spot, you have to look whether you have headphones on or not.

Having headphones on means you have to look even more than normal, just to be sure, so by this over-compensation you may end up being safer than usaul anyway!

If you are driving a car with a big bling spot, turning the stero off doesn't mean you don't have to check the blind spot.

I didn't say i go faster than everyone all the time - i said most of the time, there are always those GS skiier types maching around, but my point was really that you are responsible for not hitting everyone in front of you, and anyone behind you is responsible for not hitting you - and wearing headphones is not going to affect that when in motion, only the possibility of not hearing someone about to hit you from behind - and that is their fault. They are hardly going to go "Oh, I won't crash into him as he's not wearing/wearing headphones". Plus if you have music at the right volume you can still hear edges and screams!
 Quote:
Originally posted by AK 77:
You cannot in any way rely on hearing to cover that blind spot
I disagree. without headphones you can obviously hear an incoming skier/rider that much quicker. This is especially for outside noise reducing dj headphones. At the very least you can prepare to get hit.
also, listening to music means you're not concentrating 100% on your run and that could lead to an accident.
You can't compare listening to music in a car to listening while riding. A more apt example is listening while riding a bike.
but whatever, I'm not holding out hope that I convinced you not to wear headphones.
 Quote:
 Quote:
Originally posted by AK 77:
You cannot in any way rely on hearing to cover that blind spot
I disagree. without headphones you can obviously hear an incoming skier/rider that much quicker. This is especially for outside noise reducing dj headphones. At the very least you can prepare to get hit.
also, listening to music means you're not concentrating 100% on your run and that could lead to an accident.
You can't compare listening to music in a car to listening while riding. A more apt example is listening while riding a bike.
but whatever, I'm not holding out hope that I convinced you not to wear headphones.
why would you need to convince me not to wear headphones?

I admitted at the start that, on their own, they do make riding a bit less safe as they take away the hearing stuff happening (not everything, unless they are cranked up too high) but that as you are aware of the lack of hearing you look more (as it your reponsibility to make up for the lack of hearing) to make sure you are riding safe.

The only scenario you have said they are dangerous for (within on piste resort riding) is hearing someone about to crash into you sooner - something that would be the other person's fault, and unless it's icy I don't think you'd hear someone until it's too late anyway.
Does this happen alot in Japan?

I'm not saying people should ride with music, I don't ride with headphones that often - usually just bashing resort on crappy weather days on your own, but I don't think they make it unacceptably dangerous. If you accept their dangers and compensate you can still ride safely.

I think the views of some (older lol.gif ) people on this topic reflect their feelings towards people who ride badly anyway but are the same demographic who would also be likely to wear headphones, making them even worse. You get these people in all countries, but I have noticed alot of them in Japanese parks - but their lack of safety etiquette is not a result of wearing headphones - that's just another symptom of them being dangerous and unaware in general.

As for not concentrating, nearly every rider in the Olympic pipe finals was wearing them! They didn't look too distracted!
 Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
 Quote:
That's a real nice photo of you Soubs with the dashboard of your car! lol.gif
no way, DBs not that tall...couldnt be bushy either cuz hes shorter than DB \:D
lol.gif

Sorry, just noticed this. Why the hell am I now the short punching bag?? When did you retire FT the dwarf from this role? confused.gif By the way, this was FT at Halloween...

BODOG%20MIDGET%20PARTY%20PICS.jpg