Quote:
Originally posted by snosurf:
I ride with headphones occasionally, if i'm with other people I will either not wear headphones or only have music playing in one ear so I am alert to what is going on around me.
Same here. I usually don't have the volume turned up too high, and the noise people make while riding is surprisingly pretty loud, so you can hear most of it anyways.

Some times there's a perfect match between the music and your riding and it's just incredible. Makes me capable of attacking the mountain a little more aggressively too, turning with good beats.
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by Early Cuyler:
Snosurf-Hand Jive the next few bars. That shit is to much..... A good mantis hand bend at the wrist would be the goonie thing to do on the snap of the turn on that snowbank. Heelside!!
haha yeh you have a point....maybe not a few bars. Sometimes I think i'm a rapper and i'm black. But i'm not, i'm as white as the snow. Still, doesn't change the fact i'm cool \:D

Oyuki kigan- what politically-concious hip-hop do you bump?

Right now ive really been into Immortal Technique....But its all moods ya know?

I will throw on some KRS-1. But only the early stuff with Boogie Down Productions.Also Bronze Nazareth-The Great Migration has me wide open.

Oh, i like old Public Enemy, KRS-One, Mos Def, Talib, Dead Prez, Sage Francis, and Poor righteous Teachers.

"These cats drink champane\ toast death and pain\

like slaves on a ship/ talking `bout who got the flyest chain"

oh, does Warsaw Pack count as hip-hop? They are my Buy Nothing day soundtrack this year.

But over and beyond that, most of my political music is punk rawk. Also great for riding.

Forget headphones, I think all music should be banned on piste. Especialy the crap they pipe though the lifts and lower runs and park. Nothing worse than listening to J-pop"s" on a rail.

Not stopping there, ban piped street music in Japan. And the "GyooooooZaaaaaaa" van guy driving around my house.

Though I have been plesently supprised by some of the import piped music in shops like led zeppelin. Why cant they have that back home.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
ride the silence if you cant amp yourself up oh natural then why are you doing it in the first place.
that's a little much don't you think? that's like saying people who love driving should turn their car radio off.

i ski because i love it, pure and simple. for me, skiing is one of the few things that brings forth moments of harmony between body, mind, and soul. it provides us with an opportunity to exist completely in the moment. incedentally, i love music for the same reason. shouldn't it make sense that the two would work well together?

as it stands, skiing while listening to music tends to be dangerous, inconsiderate, or if not either of these two, inappropriate for the moment, ie, an perfect quiet empty glade. so usually i refrain, but not always, and sometimes it is really awesome.

In most of Europe, most places have posted and usualy its a condition of lift passes that you are responsible for others on piste. e.g. if somebody falls you become responsible to get that person help.

Would that extend to headphone wearing? You can tell a lot of what is happening behind you from subtle sounds.

All that being said, in a race nothing sounds better than some guitar shredding.

Riding with headphones + music makes as much sense as riding a bike listening to your i-pod - i.e. a daft idea.

For boarders (or skiiers) to do it makes you about as cool as that Japanese boy boarder **** in the last winter Olympics. A dork

i will stop listening to my own music when they stop piping shytty music through the lift towers.

as for Jedi mind tricks, i`ve heard some of their old stuff. amazing, but i`m not too stoked when supposedly `concious` rappers drop the word `faggot`.

"Whether you choose to lick/pussy or dick/people of the world/ it`s your pick"

some wisdom from ODB.

No worries i didnt used to mind them but have the people i was going skiing with were hooked up. I go skiing with friends to chill and have a good time not to listen to my new ipod. Also we dont ride bikes with headphones because we need to hear things. I want to hear the mountain and what the snow and situation is doing. when i hike im listening for whomps etc in the snowpack. Plus thinking about the line im about to ride and planning the enterance etc.

Oyuki - it's a matter of safety. Wherever you are, whoever you are with, I think it's a bad idea to dull one of the senses that you need when you are riding on a board or skis at a speed where you can do yourself or somebody else a serious injury.

I agree that piped J-Pop on the lifts is crap, but it doesn't remove your ability to hear most of what's around you...

Not 'square' - common sense.

i would NEVER wear them BC riding or hiking. That would be extremely stupid and dangerous. And as a common sign of coutresy, i would never wear them around friends. I agree, that goes against the whole point of riding with friends.

But c`mon, riding down a regular japanese resort with gapers everywhere while listening to Ludacris rap `Yo bitch, GET OUT THE WAY!` is simultaneously funny and appropriate.

only place I think headphones would be accectable would be park/pipe. BC and resort you need to hear whats going on - especially if somebody is about to pass you/crash into you or an avie is coming down.

Im more worried about somebody else hitting me because they're not paying attention or not looking...especially with J-people's lack of ability to see 3 feet in front of em.

In the same context, when I trained for triathlons we never listened to music on the bike just because its important for you to hear cars around you. That was a no-no as well. Though when youre running its different.

It'd be nice if resorts didnt play music at all.

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
only place I think headphones would be accectable would be park/pipe. BC and resort you need to hear whats going on - especially if somebody is about to pass you/crash into you or an avie is coming down.
i agree with the back country, and listening to music while skiing with friends is just bad manners. these are the same people who consider video games and TV quality time spent with friends.

but as for the crash issue. what if that's not an issue. i don't stop until i get to the lift, and people simple don't ski/board faster than me. well samurai does, but not this year!

But playing video games with your friends can be quality time, is there a generation gap here? :p

Quote:

Im more worried about somebody else hitting me because they're not paying attention or not looking...especially with J-people's lack of ability to see 3 feet in front of em.

Nice, safety conscious while generalizing an entire nationality.

generally speaking, yeah, I think more Japanese stare at the ground than look at where theyre supposed to be looking...Yes, I think Japanese cant see a foot in front of their face. And yes they suck at watching where theyre going. Which makes riding on the slopes with em more dangerous. This rant is a continuation of one Ive had on Trivial Irritations.

Creek Boy - I'd go further: morons wearing headphones while skiing or boarding is not a 'trivial irritation'. It's a real safety issue.

It also makes no sense to me because the background noise would affect the quality of the sound anyway. I urge people to be smart and not do it, just as they shouldn't do so when cycling at high speed along urban streets in Japan. Plain stupidity - and definitely not the same as listening to a little quiet music in a car. How often do you see car drivers wearing headphones?

I'm 100% in the no headphones camp. Hate the things, and only ever wear them for skyping. I love to hear the sounds of skis and mountains. I very rarely listen to the radio in the car either. It's a bit like wearing a condom, and I don't like them either.

Every snowboarding punk should have one of these.

wtfghettoblastereditionew8.jpg