Here I go again with another kids question :rolleyes: :

Decided to teach kids to ski on forthcoming trip to Japan (heeded previous advice from here and not trying boarding yet)

We will be spending about 15 days on slopes thumbsup.gif and they will be in lessons (learn to ski and improve their nihongo - heartless father that I am). Have decided to buy them skis & boots as we hope to get a special ski set in Japan for less than 15 days rental. I know less than zero about skis. At the moment it seems the advice is you should buy skis that are between 5 & 20 cm shorter than said child. The shorter the better? Go for the full 20 cm less than their height? Am I better going to the ski school and asking what they suggest? They are 7/8 yrs old 122 cm tall & 5/6 years old 116cm tall.

Any advice much appreciated, apart from "don't put the dear little ones into ski school as it will traumatise them" ;\)

A new ski set will cost about 15000 yen. Boot can cost up to 10000 yen depending on what you get. I have my kids in front buckle boots. I think they offer better control. Rear entry's are probably more comfortable and easier to deal with as a parent.

My kids are the same ages and about the same size.

My Daughter is 7/8 and on 124cm this will be her fourth season. My son is 5/6 and on 112cm this his 3rd season and are to short for him. They both started on 100cm.

I would say maybe 110 for one and 100 for the other.

But once they get the hang they will out grow them quick.

15 day may be a bit much for kids that age. Even if they are skiing a few hours a day.

You may want to rent only for the days they will actually be on the slopes.

thanks quattro. I know what you mean about the 15 days. Apart from the 4 days we're staying at Appi Kogen the rest will be day trips from the inlaws so we can play it by ear. Mixture of sledging, ski and maybe creche. I had to wait until I was very old to start enjoying the winter scene but I'd like to get my kids used to it early on. The main thing is I want them to enjoy it. Our kids seem to be similar age; my daughter is 7/8 and son is 5/6. I'll tot up the realsitic amount we can expect them to ski and see if the rental comes close to a ski set price. But thanks for advice on sizes they're very useful.

I had my kids on endurance training this summer amd managed to get them to hike to the second highest peak in the English Lakes (very paltry height compared to any where else but for them a hard 3 hour climb to the summit) so I hope they can manage to cope with the ski insructors.

as a per that teaches kids and sking shorter is better and they will have more fun. Renting is an option as heck they will grow right out of them or. Buy the bigger kid the set rent for the little one and let he she can grow into the sibblings set.

yeah good idea. At the moment in UK I can get them a set (rear entry rossingol boots and skis) for about 21000 Yen (£95 - exchange rate is great for me at moment) So am contemplating buying here to take out, but only makes sense if they hit the slopes 10 times. Now there's a goal ;\) Must phone Takeda sports and find out what ski sets they're doing. I have come to realise that ski hardware is much more expensive than boardware. eek.gif

Quattro

oh definitely a special kids edition report - especially for Appi Kogen where other people are likely to visit. Many thanks for the advice. I look forward to the day when the kids are leaving me in their wake clap.gif - maybe they'll take me bc in my dottage.

Thanks Soubriquet. Skis are a little long for my kids (I'll be looking at 100 & 110 cm)and they have all their ski gear (good old tk max). I have found out Takeda Sports are doing kids boots and ski sets for 15000 Yen at moment and they think they might do some cheaper sets at Christmas when they get more stock in.

Thanks again and I hope you get to spend some time in the mountains with your kids this winter - I enjoyed your report with them from last season. \:\)