I made my first boarding trip of the season today, to Karuizawa. There were only 2 runs open, both very basic green runs, about 900m each. It was nice to refresh the legs' memory before the real season begins, and good to be on snow again, but it would get boring quite quickly if you were a good boarder, or spent any more than 1 day there. Not really a mountain so much as a hill, and the amount of people crammed onto those 2 tiny courses was incredible. 10-15 minutes wait for a lift. However, fun was had, and it was only about 7000 for a return shinkansen and lift pass, so a cheap day out by all accounts.

Xilr8_2.JPG

It was actually pretty cold, it was about 6 degrees in the sun when we arrived, but later on it got colder, around 0-ish and snowed a bit too. Definitely wouldn't go there in season though, although you can actually walk there from the shink station, which is a bonus!

Sounds good. I am really looking forward to the temps dropping in all of Japan. Love cold weather, kills all the bugs! What did the resort look like, does it have good potential?

I am new enough to a lot of places in Japan so I am trying to get around as many places as possible this year. ShigaKogen and Hakuba definitely on the list, but there are loads of places there as it is!

kashimayari at lake aoki near hakuba do the same thing each year too --- last year me and a mate went along as i just wanted to stand on my new public enemys before hitting tateyama --- it was like skiing on large chunks of cocktail ice, funniest thing i've ever done, almost worth it for the comedy value.

my mate is hiking up happo tomorrow to ride it thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

Some people have all the luck. I would prefer to be hiking than going into stinking work.

What is the 1st day back like? I can imagine it can feel pretty strange. As this will be only my 2nd season this will be my 1st 1st day back! I am interested to see how crap I will be!!

Thats even by my standards!

It was my first 1st day back too, and I was worried I'd have forgotten everything. But no, by the time I was on my 2nd run I was hitting the jumps again already. Don't worry - it's like learning to ride a bicycle, you don't forget it.

Naeba opening up next weekend, *real* snow on the ground, thanks Karuizawa, see you next season ;\)