Not sure if you saw, but this season BD is selling packs that include an avalung. Interesting. Looking to buy a bigger pack for this season but these are on the small side. May go with a Dakine in the end although color not great.

just bought the black diamond covert 32L avalung, i can fit all my gear for a day trip in it, with room to spare. but not much luck using it in extended trips. the anarchist version is 42L.

Osprey Packs blow goats they push your wieght back. god points are comfortable straps thats it. Rappie sid that as well.

As toque taught me why carry 2 packs into the BC why not carry one and collapse it down. Thats why i would rather have the avalung separate.

Yep FT, the Osprey looks like it pushes your weight back from the pic of it I saw, although I know some people who own a smaller version and are very happy with it. Some guy who reviewed it online also mentionned that the weight back prob is not much of an issue if you manage how you put your gear in it properly. The Dakine looks like a very well thought-out pack except for apparently a lack of chest strap... Still I am leaning more towards the Dakine at mom. Anybody got other suggestions for bigger packs?

Also, just curious, anybody got an ABS?

Serreche if you have time there are a bunch of shops in Tokyo you can check out for fit and other details:

Sakaiya / Jinbocho

http://www.sakaiya.com/

Calafate / Mejiro

http://www.calafate.co.jp/

Kojitsu / Shinjuku

http://www.kojitu.co.jp/

Based on what friends have told me, I think the ArcTeryx has better quality construction than the Dakine. My wife has a M30 and really likes it. As you said, though, the M40 might be too small for your purposes.. (perhaps, snow camping?)

It's kinda hard to find a good +50L bag that also carries a board well. But, that much gear would be pretty heavy with a board on your back.

I like 70+ litres for winter camping

Although I havn't done too much of it yet. Only 5 or 6 nights I think. And they havn't involved more than a little skinning

I'd rather have room to spare than not enough and tying things to the outside

There are good things about going overnight with a 30 litre bag. In the spring it makes you really think what is important and lightens your load

Ospray has way too many features

Back to the basics please

i like 40 to 50 for the one day hike in the spring. As we get better at this we should be packing more. Toque you should start thinking about ropes as well for safty and rescues.

Ospray is way over rated, Ospray got lucky and got caught in the Japanese boom. Top loading slim and wide. A pack that puts your wieght back is not good. my 2 cents again and again and again. preached to the same group of people again and again lol