Ok so we're going to Hakuba in January and 3 of us have at least size 10 feet. We've heard its difficult to rent these kinds of sizes in Japan.

Is this true and should we try to bring boots from home?

Size 10 are easy. Is it an American size 10? You can get up to size 13 in most rental places(its easier to get larger ski boot sizes though)

But as others have said, its better to buy them, even you can get a cheap last years brand in Tokyo for 6000 yen.

Seriously, don't rent boots in Hakuba! My girlfriend did for 10 days and it ended up costing as much as buying a good pair back home, she also had problems with every single pair in her size (8) cause of their poor quality. We really regretted not buying her a pair beforehand!

I noticed you are in Australia. Are you a boarder? Some mates of mine just bought some boarding boots the other day online from an Australian supplier. They're good quality boots and cost less than $200 (per pair). Since you'll pay around $10-20 a day to rent boots, it may be wise to consider this option.

If you are in west oz (or other parts where gear is scarce)like I am, the shipping is relatively cheap and the boots turned out to be great value.

Do a search on google. Buy boots before you leave. Save yourself money and hassle. Sorry I can't drop any names, it's unfair and against the rules.

Thanks.

Are they really all that bad quality in Hakuba?

Is it worth bringing my own bindings. I have actually got some so wouldn't have to buy them but i'm not overly keen on carrying them around for 2.5 weeks before we hit the slopes.

The boots here are the same aas everywhere else. You dont need bindings at all, boots are something that I encourage people to bring. Crap footwear makes any trip bad.

If you really dont want to bring them just rent then but also look into sending your boots to the hotel and then shipping them back that might come close to the rental cost of the boots.

If you are looking for real cheap equipment, you can probably get some for 1500. There is an old outlet shop I know that sells everything dirt cheap. Jackets 1000 en, Pants 1000 en etc. But it is about 3 years old.

Saying that on the same street I bought my Snowboard Jacket for 40000 but found pants in that shop that were extra large for 1000. outsize equipment gooes for a lot cheaper.

There are about 50 winter shops in that area and they allways have racks for last years gear.

If you know your US boot size, ordering online won't be a problem. And company policies will let you send them back and exchange them for a different size at no extra cost.

And of course I am talking in reference to boarding here. You still haven't told us if you're a skiier or boarder. It makes a difference. Ski boots are a different story.

For the record, both my mates who ordered online found that their boots to be a perfect fit (they're boarders).