Originally Posted By: -30deg

Alot has been said about ropes etc. Most Japanese ski areas start out with strict policies, and gradually relax over time. Furano was very strict about 3 years ago. Things have relaxed since then. Last season there were people to be seen everywhere through the trees.

Just wanted to added a comment to this so there is no misunderstandings. While the ski area still says off piste is a no go, enforcement it would seem has been relaxed and off piste tours are being offered on Furano Ski Area by Hokkaido Powder Guides this coming season. Several runs are ungroomed on the ski area itself and this season another course will be left ungroomed after fresh snow falls.

I've also heard from locals at Furano that the ski patrol has been told to "turn a blind eye" to people skiing off piste, they realised it's had a negative impact on visitor numbers over the past few years and want to try to turn that around.

Quote:

Thursday
I actually will be thereabouts this season. I am hot on Tomamu as it is the family destination on Hokkaido. Furano is also ace. So much to do , so little time.

Tomamu is not all that IMHO.

Kiroro is a far better 'family' choice, with something for all ages (and abilities) on and off the snow.

If you think Niseko is flat, you ain't seen nothing yet.

All the great skiing is above the highest working lift.

To ski the trees you have to sign up every day and wear a yellow bib.

Great restaurants though.

If you look on the map, Furano is more or less at the dead centre of Hokkaido geographically. This means it's consistently one of the coldest places in Japan during winter. Niseko isn't exactly tropical in comparison, but Furano is colder.

Other plus points for Furano? The town's a "real" place (as opposed to Hirafu, the atmosphere of which seems rather weird these days) and the scenery is beautiful - it doesn't have a Yotei-san, but on clear days you can see right across the valley towards the Daisetsuzan range and an active volcano.

It is not a technically challenging mountain, that's true, but the quality of snow is excellent and I enjoyed going there.

Finally, compared to the long bus ride to Niseko from Chitose (Sapporo Airport), the transfer from Asahikawa Airport to Furano is a lot shorter, as I recall. This means more time skiing and less sitting on a bus.

SdS

plus, for an excursion, go to the Chateau and drink lots of samples in the little cups. Then perhaps buy some. They also have the Furano cheese there to pair the wine.

Then off to the cheese/pizza/ice cream factory for some lunch.