It will (hopefully) be our first trip to Hakuba in February, and my wife will be buying new boots before we leave (probably from Bumps at Elsternwick). Can any one recommend a boot-fitter in Hakuba, preferably (but not necessarily) English-speaking, that would be able to tweak the boots if there are problems with the fit? I didn't have much luck in Kutchan trying to get my boots blown out, because of pressure on a Morton's neuroma, and my wife has a bunion on her right foot, and a lower tolerance for badly-fitting boots. Anyone got any tips?

Thanks for the advice, if we had a choice we wouldn't be. But my wife's feet grew two shoe sizes during her recent pregnancy, and she needs new boots. Sorry I forgot to mention that in the original post...

Nope they didt she went out and bought new boots. Doing the work while on the mountain isnt that good of an idea. A popperly fitted boot shouldnt need too much work follow my plan. If you can are in a bad position while you are here call me and ill drag you to a place for a bottle of wine.

Yeh, but my situation was unusual - I had new custom liners and they didn't work with big calves. The guys couldn't do anything but blow out the boots, the liners had to go, the boots then fit even worse, the shop in Tokyo exchanged me a new pair of boots in exchange for the returned liners.... new boots needed tweaking cos of the calves as well. I hopefully finally got them sorted out last year when I was in Fernie with someone who really knew his stuff. Haven't had a chance to really give the refurbished version a try out yet.... got them canted as well.

Your wife grew 2 shoe sizes when pregnant?!!! eek.gif

And she is VERY unhappy about it too, Sunrise. And very ambivalent about buying new boots before trip to non-english speaking resort. We toyed with the idea of Canada (I loved Fernie!) to overcome this, but Japan is much easier to get to.

The boot-fitter we have in Melbourne is very good (they were the only one who ever got her boots right, but once we're on the plane, it's going to be tricky to return for a tweak.

Another big problem I have is that I'm a half size - I can never get into the smaller size down. Also I have one foot larger than the other and it's noticeable with boots.

If I had known of a good bootfitter in Tokyo I would have gotten mine from them, but it seems to be ghost town for that here, at least no-one could point me anywhere, so I had to just do what I could with info on testing shell sizes, etc...

Yeh, I remember Kyoto, but it's too costly to travel for continual tweaks.

You might be better off going with the bootfitter you trust and then getting any needed tweaks here if necessary. Might save you lots of grief and hassle (hopefully).