hey everyone, I just moved to asahikawa for the year and can't wait to see if this j-pow is as good as I've heard. people tell me that Kamui is the best place nearby. should I go for a season pass or just single tix? I also want to check out furano and any place where its steep and deep. I'm not much of a park rat... any asahikawans out there that want to meet up for a few send me a message!

I'm Brian, grew up in Minnesota then lived in Boulder, CO for 6 years and have skiied all over the rockies but mostly stuck around the front range. Two southen hemisphere winters ago I was in Queenstown NZ which was awesome.

so, give me some info! please...

Hi bonanza brian. the hokkaido climate is similar to CO so you should feel at home for the weather.

those people are right, kamui links is great. furano doesn't live up to it's resort reputation for me for some reason, but i've heard there's some good bc terrain. also reccomend Canmore. both are excellent and fresh tracks can be had even on the weekends. and of course Asahidake thumbsup.gif

i'd like to hear your opinion in the winter cause i think powder snow in japan is just as good if not better than snow in the san juan mts. people in the states don't believe me when i tell them that. (just as well, more powder for me!!)

Well, I've been told by many people (but mostly Aussies) that Japan has the best pow in the world. I do find it hard to believe that it's better than the San Juans but it's one of those things that you just have to find out for yourself. I'll definitely update on which I like the most but it might have a lot to do with what kind of season we have... And r45, I've got about 40% of my gear here now, and I'm going home real quick for a friend's wedding on Dec. 9 when I'll get the rest. Thanks for the replies and for now we'll just have to watch videos and dream of those sweet, sweet snow flakes.

let it snow let it snow let it snow!

FT, you know Asahidake isn't bad. it tops out at 2290.3 a short hike up from the ropeway. but, yeah, that's the highest in hokkaido.

more than the vertical per run, is the powder and the ambience. bonanza, you're in a great location--u can learn a lot about hokkaido history, and don't have to worry about summer humidity like us down in honshu. i lived in hokkaido for a year (after four in Boulder).

most resorts in hokkaido have no lift lines at all. and the night skiing is great

2290 is kiddie stuff and that area although it retains snow well it averages less than 8meters of snow per season. Also with every other person not going to Niseko and now going to Kamuii, Asahi and kurodake then things might get tracked faster.

Asahi and kurodake are mountains where you should ride with a beacon off trails.

Furano has a nice horn that blows really loud!

That is bollocks FT....the horn used to blow, but has been retired. OOB is not permitted in Furano, but can be done if you are a little bit stealthy (not alot!).

The good thing about Furano is that they don't let people ski OOB, so it lasts fresh for ages for those that do ;\)