So this weekend is coming up thought I would put up something if anybody wanted to come along.

I'm planning on going into the Karasawa Valley again with my friend Dan (Yakedake Trip)

We are going to bring bikes to avoid the long approach of 11 km each way. But if you want to walk go right ahead.

So if anybody is interested. There should still be lots of snow up there although probably not so much that skinning will be a big thing. We are both going to go light with summer bags and will freeze our balls off in my small tent

If you want to come there are tons of buses going into this area. Just go to your local travel agent and ask how to get to Kamikochi. I think you can get overnight buses from anywhere big.

SerreChe, Montoya, Kev - I'm looking in your direction

Anybody else?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be comfortable walking/skiing/riding on steep icy snow. And have basic backcountry knowledge. Really just being to look out for yourself. I'm not a guide and am not guiding this trip.

Definitely sounds interesting, if we can juggle a few things around it may be possible. If we go, we'd probably bring the regular boards, hike the 11k, and stay in a hut there.

dude, steep icy snow is not that fun on a board. steep corn-snow, now that's a different story...

Toque,

Thanx for the invite. I am basically dead meat right now. I barely have time to login, spent last w/e in the office, and got to go to doctor's appointment this w/e for the monthly baby ultrasound's check.

It has been a wonderful season for me and I had the pleasure of meeting and riding with some cool SJ dudes such as Montoya and Sven. Unfortunately looks like that will be it for me until next season (bear any miracles). Will try to catch-up with you and FT next season though. Who knows, might even stop by Takayama during the Summer for some sightseeing!

Take it easy!

Quote:
Originally posted by montoya:
dude, steep icy snow is not that fun on a board. steep corn-snow, now that's a different story...
I say steep icy snow cause you really never know in the backcountry right
Could be steep icy snow or could be steep beautiful high speed corn snow

To bad SerreChe. It should be a good time.
Maybe see you in the there Montoya.

Sometime I would like to do something like this, although I'm afraid I am not good enough to keep up. But I would be a good friend to have re: cheese supplies. We could take a range of cheeses with us, some snacks and maybe some for a meal up top maybe a fondue. How does that sound?

That's to bad Cheese. I am a fan of the cheese although it always gets the best of me and I get all bunged up

Only supposed to be 2 days of rain

I know the weekend is quite a ways off but so far it looks good

Gonna bring my tent along. I havn't ever gotten wet in it before. And split between 2 people will be light.

Toque, looks like we won't be able to make it, we have a crap load of work stuff that's piled up..

If any one else has the chance, definitely have a go. Even if you don't ride, you can hang out at Karasawa, enjoy the scenery, climb Kita-Hodaka, etc.

A couple of other people I ride with also want to visit Karasawa, so we will make it out there sooner or later. Really looking forward to more pics!

So here is the plan

Friday - We are going to try and catch the 5:10 bus from Hirayu Onsen. Ride the bikes to Yokoo hut area. I think that's what it's called. 11km in.

Saturday - Up early and hike in getting some skiing as soon as possible.

Sunday - Hike up to the saddle. I want to look at some skinny lines. And then ski back down to the bikes and ride out.

If we miss the 5:10 bus then we are going to drive over the Abo pass. Park on the other side of the long tunnel and ride in to Kamikochi.

That is the plan. If anybody wants to come still then they can meet us up there. Sorry if this makes things difficult. I have walked that 11k so many times that one more just isn't acceptable.

Where you able to ski it?

The weather wasn't very good on sunday and I bet there was new snow

You don't need a bike for this trip. I'm just taking mine cause I don't want to walk. For the independent traveler it's not a big deal to walk in there.

Yeah, we did ski it. from about just above the 9th station (fujinomiya) to the new 7th station. The weather was indeed not very good. The wind was gusting but could've been worse. Visibility was nil until mid afternoon when we got down below the 8th and it cleared up a little. Snow was hard and icy above that and softened below. We got a little bit of graupel but not really any new snow.