No we didn't. I guess Goryu is the peak we were looking at hiking. It has some great steep chutes whatever it's called. That Happo tip is a goody thanks Mr Wiggles. I'll see you around Boxing Day if you're doing the bar thing this year.

I just picked up an extra beacon for 15000 yen.

its 3 years old but in great shape. now I can take some other friends along. How much a night for that hut wiggles. the niku-mans up there are like 400 yen ouch. whats wiggles winter plans?

Davo

The Goryu hut is at the intersection between the Toomi (Goryu) ridge and the top ridge along the mountains. To climb the Goryu peak from the hut, you turn south-west away from Happo. To go to Happo, you go north. This diagram starts at the top of Goryu Ski Field and shows the summer route. It's pretty much straight up the ridge, so it shouldn't be too different in winter. The hut is at the 6km point.

rtToomione.gif

I've been only as far on the 5km mark on this map and that was on a rare clear summer day when I rued getting up at 11am.

I'm well up for staying at the Happo Ike hut. That hut's even got a bath. I've got an el cheapo hiking stove that runs on gas cassettes but it was okay at 2700m, so we don't have to hit the nikuman.

If i'm not mistaken, the 6km mark is where the smaller ridge intersects with the main one, the spot where the hut is. From 5 kms to 6kms the trail gets steep and narrow, and I'd imagine crampons/ice axes and probably a rope would be advised for that section.

The Happo hut route would be a much easier affair, and somewhat more well trodden, I'd imagine.

Quote:
Originally posted by Yuki's Passion:
Just tell them you and a mate are going by yourselves and then it would be cheaper. Who is going to hike up there in a foot of fresh snow just to check how many people are staying?
well, i've a feeling that the staff know exactly who's staying at the hut, as they are also based at the hut.

Toque, I think most three season huts have a bolt hole. Check the area maps for the hut symbols that aren't solid black, or have a solid black roof. They should be locked up, no staff, and (probably) a bolt hole.
  • 1 month later...

There's nothing like spending a night in a tent belting the snow off the roof from the inside to stop it collapsing under the weight of a TRULY BIG DUMP falling bomb-like from sugi trees (WHOOSH - THUD!!!) - New Year's Eve - Kagura.

Watching one's breath form flakes of ice on the inside walls is fun too.

Actually, the -10C bag night wasn't too bad.

Not 'enjoyable for the whole family', though satisfyingly extreme in a way.

I am either in a state when I should go snowcamping or in a state when I should stop going snowcamping.

beep! beep!

Quote:
well, i've a feeling that the staff know exactly who's staying at the hut, as they are also based at the hut.
Nothing that some Gitmo-style plastic handcuffs and hoods couldn't remedy.

Most people, after a bit of Gitmo-style, freedom-loving hospitality, would be unable to PROVE THAT THEY DON'T have any improper, unspecified thoughts.

Remember - no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!