Yes. But, the operation is quite different to ones in Canada/US. In Canada/US, it is sold as daily (or few days) package which serves several times runs a day with expensive price (500 US$ thru 1,500+ US$). In Japan, it is sold as one time run service with cheaper price (50 US$ thru 150+ US$). You do not expect larger scale skiing in Japan. It would be an extention(in BC area) to a resort ski area. Please refer to;

http://www.geocities.jp/snownihon/Temp/TempHeliSki.htm

• 5 months later...

Snow Connection gave all the above information really. there are 3 ops in Japan that i know of.

All the ops run in spring only and the terrain is not to impresive really.

Why doest japan run helis is a good question. the terrain here tends to valley out. also the storms pack a punch and helis cant fly in bad weather. Most heli ops arent located in the biggest snowfall zones. Thay can access so much terrain that they dont need to be in the 500 inch a year zones.

Also most of Japan is public park land and the conservation laws are extreme....in a japanese way.

Quote:
Originally posted by WantToSki:
i wonder why there is not much heliskiing in japan (compared to other countries)... the japanes terrain has just much to offer, imo...
I have taken a few heli drops, so call me a hypocrite, but Heli skiing in France is banned and that is a very good thing. I hope it never changes. I have had drops in Italy and Switzerland just over the boarder and then made our descent into French terrain. But there are so many incredible lines in France and getting them is hard alpine work: they are enjoyed by the people with the skill and or determination to get them. No one else can play. By banning heli skiing in France there are no losers, only winners. In the long run Japan will benefit from the same ban. Let other countries offer the heli product. If you want to test yourself on incredible terrain with direct no-sweat access then go to Alaska. Alaska is unique in that getting into it is very hard and the heli (or snowmobile) helps. On the other hand, Japan is not that isolated nor high nor remote. Buy some touring skis and a back pack.