hi to all...

i think i am ready to buy my own boots and skis...

and am just wondering is when is the best time to time?

around february and march, 2005-2006 models are being had for drop-down prices. but i wonder - "now, there is less time to use it?"

for the 2006-2007 models - i think there are lots of "try them own" events, and im assuming that they be in stores by june - but still, you cant use them yet...

when is the best time to get them? just after season, or just before the season starts?

thanks!!!

of course, though im not looking for top-of-the-line brand new models; i am looking for good brand new models (even those that were last year's)...

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
there is not alot of difference year to year on models. I would by now.
how about the price?

dont you think 2005-2006 models bought just before the 2007 season would be cheaper? rather than buying them now?

thanks!!

about the same if not a bit higher. stores want to clear the stock rooms now! what they cant sell now at 30 to 40% off might go for only 10 to 20% off next season to try and make more money. shop around and come back with a price and we can tell you if its a good deal or not. but we need details ski make and model and year.

Quote:
about the same if not a bit higher. stores want to clear the stock rooms now! what they cant sell now at 30 to 40% off might go for only 10 to 20% off next season to try and make more money. shop around and come back with a price and we can tell you if its a good deal or not. but we need details ski make and model and year.
got it...

thanks a lot!!! really appreciate it...!!!

I saw some Blizzard Titan 9.2 in a Kanda store last summer for 20,000 yen. Not that I needed skis but for that price I was tempted, but didn't buy them after all.

In november went back to the same shop and the same skis were on 'special sale' for 50,000 yen.

So better to buy now

okay...

i hope no one flames me for this... i know, i know, i posted that "id tell you guys know of what i find..."

but i just saw a brand new Salomon Streetracer 8/S711 (05-06 model) for about 45,000 yen! and well, i really wanted the Scrambler 8 besides it, and unfortunately since the shop didnt have the size i needed; they said that they were willing to let me have the Streetracer for only 24,000 yen!!!

i mean, isnt this a good deal? my original budget was about 50,000 yen - and i was about to get the Atomic ST8 from another shop (assuming that i walked out on this one), but this shop saw my eagerness (and i do know, at least based on the "marketing" that the Streetracers are like "demo" models)... but for 24,000 yen!?!

okay... any thoughts?

afterthoughts:

after i got home, i checked the internet for the street prices for the Streetracer 8; and they are still around 40,000 yen... so, i guess it was a good deal...

my only worry is that most of the reviews ive read of this model is not good at all... however, my comfort would be is that im no expert, say low/mid intermediate. so should it really worry? i do know that my level model should be around a "8" or a "9"...

thoughts, anyone?

Quote:
Originally posted by Team snow bee:
what sort of runs do you mostly do ?
well, i really cant say much - but i like doing high-speed middle and long turns... especially from the "regent grat" course all the way down to the nakiyama gelande in the Hakuba Happo-One resort. and of course, i would like to be able to do this in all snow conditions, just like after a new snow has fallen, to it being a much used piste like in the mid-afternoons, and even during slush during warm periods, etc.

thoughts? im really all new to this (as some would know, i only started skiing only this season); and i would appreciate the feedbacks.

PS: at the moment, i would like to spend more time doing continuous short turns (since i really suck at it presently)

i read some reviews and i have skied another salomon model close to the same shape.

they hate going straight at speed so you need to be active and continue to keep the ski on edge turning.

bites into japanese hardpack easy enough no sliping.

a little narrow to learn good powder skills but a good carving ski for the quiver.

if you like them go back and ask if the deal is still on the table you can not beat that price. i myself wouldnt buy a ski like that but if you are going to take more badge tests it is a pretty good ski for that.

thanks...

yes, i guess ill try for as far as 1-kyu next season (basically, take 2-kyu, then a couple of months later, 1-kyu if i can)...). and if a ski at least would be good for that, i guess its a good buy.

ill be headed to shop after work then - and let you guys know!!

*thumbs up*

Quote:
i read some reviews and i have skied another salomon model close to the same shape.

they hate going straight at speed so you need to be active and continue to keep the ski on edge turning.

bites into japanese hardpack easy enough no sliping.

a little narrow to learn good powder skills but a good carving ski for the quiver.

if you like them go back and ask if the deal is still on the table you can not beat that price. i myself wouldnt buy a ski like that but if you are going to take more badge tests it is a pretty good ski for that.
btw, when you say keeping it on the edge - would this be okay for short turns, too? i really would want to concentrate on my short turns...

04/05 season i skied on the streetracer 8's (infact i'm selling them if anyone wants to make me an offer, they are in perfect condition) - had a great season on them, if high speed on-piste carving is what you are into. i would agree with FT, that they don't like straight lines at speed and are definitely too narrow underfoot to ski the pow - but if you wanna practise on-piste technique and various turns - they would be perfect, go for it! if you think you want to hit more terrain that just on-piste, go for an all mountain ski. good luck! PM me if you want some more info.

If you really like high speed middle and long turns then I have a REAL ski for you for a good price.

With real ski I mean numbered, hand finished racing atelier Dynastar Skicross Pro 188 from 2 years ago. Only been used twice in world cups. This ski will hold the edge no matter what and is incredibly stable but still easy to handle even in shorter turns. Nothing like you have ever skied on before.

hey guys!!!

i already got the ski... and all for 24,732 yen...!!!

here is a pic taken with my cellphone (my digital camera wasnt charged, and just cant wait) when i first brought it into my place:

TS330039.JPG?FILE_ID=934675107&PREVIEW_FLG=1&SENDER=PA101&RECOMMEND_MODE=4&DECODE_KEY=5b111664063d7c2f697249195a64&

yipeee...!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sanno:
If you really like high speed middle and long turns then I have a REAL ski for you for a good price.
With real ski I mean numbered, hand finished racing atelier Dynastar Skicross Pro 188 from 2 years ago. Only been used twice in world cups. This ski will hold the edge no matter what and is incredibly stable but still easy to handle even in shorter turns. Nothing like you have ever skied on before.
thanks for the offer, Sanno; but ive already bought my ski before i saw this post of yours...

but hey, for 25,000 yen brand-new - who can argue?

cheers!!!

\:\)

hey, i had my first day with my new skis (just got back from Kagura)...!!

really nice skis... and as soon as i had it hot waxed, perfect! compared to rental skis that ive tried, really easy to initiate turns (and especially when i needed lots of short turns when the only way to get down from the top is to take the bumps/kobu - since the "safe" course has been closed)...

ah yes,it really does hate being in a straight line - there were two situations wherein i just wiped out! one was i took too much time to initiate a new turn, and i just lost control. and another when i was taking the straight "gondola course" - i felt that the skis trying to shake, ie., it seems it just likes to turn...

regardless, nice skis!!!