Quote:
Originally posted by daver:
a good teacher will have you skiing a lot, and will not waste your time performing drills that isolate an action unless it is completely necessary.
Drills and personal attention are much more effective than skiing behind a teacher. It really depends on where you are on your learning curve whether skiing a lot makes more sense than drills, but no matter how good you are any drill can make you better where as just following a teacher doesn't.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sanno:
Drills and personal attention are much more effective than skiing behind a teacher. It really depends on where you are on your learning curve whether skiing a lot makes more sense than drills, but no matter how good you are any drill can make you better where as just following a teacher doesn't. [/QB]

I totally agree - and disagree. It's up to the student. Some students learn better by drill - some learn better with a 'follow me' technique. A good instructor will pick up on that and speed up the learning process. A good instructor and a private lesson can make a huge difference - or not.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sanno:
 Quote:
Originally posted by daver:
a good teacher will have you skiing a lot, and will not waste your time performing drills that isolate an action unless it is completely necessary.
Drills and personal attention are much more effective than skiing behind a teacher. It really depends on where you are on your learning curve whether skiing a lot makes more sense than drills, but no matter how good you are any drill can make you better where as just following a teacher doesn't.
you'd be surprised actually. just think how many times you (general statement) have said that you perform better when skiing with people better than yourself. but my point was not to be taken as simply following an instructor down then hill. a good instuctor will have the student skiing and also will be continually analyzing that student. then making simple adjustments when needed.
yes, good drills can be effective, if they are put in context and then immediatly put back into the whole picture. (whole, part, whole). the best drills are ones that can be done while skiing.
the basic point i was trying to make was that skiing is dynamic and cannot be approached from a standpoint that addresses static isolation. ie, J turns and question mark turns. or any drill that isolates one skill.
for example you can now extend your ankles and pivot your feet at the same time because you have practiced bracage for an hour. does that mean you will understand how to effectively implement these new found pivoting skills into a variety of turn shapes in varied terrian once you have left your teacher? no i assure you that you will not.
a good teacher will teach the skills needed for a variety of terrian and scenerios and as such build a well rounded skier that can effectively use all the skills required to perform in this DYNAMIC sport.

I never took any lessons for snowboarding or skiing, try skiing several times, for boarding, I skateboard, so the concept is similar and it does help u learn much quicker then a non-skater.. IMO.

It helps if one of your friends could give u some pointers in the beginning, it'll save you butt some pain.. \:\)

Daver I agree with you, you can't just do drills and let the client find out how to implement them themselves and I think the Japanese teachers will agree with you too. But I think it is more a difference of teaching methodology between countries. I assume Japanese ski instructors are taught to drill til they drop (or the client) and then (finally) start skiing. So don't blame the teacher per se. After 80 or so years there is still not a single worldwide supported methodology. Every country with some selfrespect has their own methodology. Next year the interski convention will be in Korea have a look at the style differences and methodology differences between countries there and you will see there isn't just a single road to improve a person from beginner to advanced.

Your methodology would be Part-Whole-Part. The Japanese will be P-P-P-P-P-P-W-P-P-P-P-P the Austrian will be P-W-W-W-W-W-W-W-W*. What is best depends on what you want to get out of it.

In Austria skiing is just a way to make through a boring day until the apresski starts. In Japan it is all about the perfect turn. Yours is more about effectiveness. It all works (except the Austrian method)

* This is not the officially taught methodology but the actual way it is 'taught' by most teachers.

funny mang. you forgot about the mandatory butt wiggle and exaggerated arm throws emphasized in all austrian lessons.

i discovered a while ago that in japan there are a variety methodologies taught. and depending on the school you go to, you will be learning in either the traditional 'french'(body turns the feet) method or the 'austrian'(feet turn the body). something to take into consideration when looking into lessons.