Good things:

* Niseko has a decent izakaya and an ok place for on mountain food.

* Rusutsu has a view of Mt Yotei

Bad things:

* It took me a while to actually pronounce Rusutsu properly

* Niseko has very noisy snow plows which often woke me up

I found Rusustu much quieter, very much untracked and heaps of trees! I don't know how it has changed this season but that's what i found the previous two. It might be more expensive to stay in, and I didn't see much of a town, but for skiing I rated it over Niseko. The lack of crowds now ever more appealing.

If you're used to a "village" experience like Whistler/Blackcomb or Mammoth, then go to Niseko. The snow and courses at Rusutsu are very nice, but expect to pay a lot more for food, since there isn't much outside the one resort hotel in terms of dining options. If you decide on Rusutsu, see if you can get the "room + breakfast and dinner" package and you'll save a ton of cash.

It's a lot easier to dirtbag it at Niseko.

If you do go to Rusutsu and want to economize a little, there is a pretty well-stocked convenience store on the main lobby side (where the bus drops you off), just up the escalators.

I fondly remember almost getting cold sweats form sticker-shock when getting the bill for the dinner viking (buffet) at the "German-style" restaurant in the dining arcade... nearly $100US for 2 people! You really need the dining coupons in Rusutsu. If you've ever seen "Falling Down" with Michael Douglas and recall the Korean convenience store scene ("how much for a pack of 4 AA batteries?"), you will have a good idea of how I was feeling inside.

You mean that restaurant with those totally grose er, machine-like German "band" with the fraulein singing and the animals all playing instruments? That had to be one of the most frightening things I've ever seen! lol.gif With prices like that I'm glad I ate for free when I was there.

It's out. You can get it from Stairway to Kevin in Leura (Leura Mall). It's also available online and a coupla other non-Oz places. No distribution at the moment so it's only available at a few, er, select exclusive places ;\) Just trying to sort some distribution out at the moment for europe, keep your fingers crossed.

Sorry to hijack the thread.. and now, back to our regular channels...

The food wasn't poison, but it wasn't worth Y4200/person. I guess it would have been a little different if that was "nomi-houdai" also...

Oh yikes! I completely forgot about those hideous animatronic abominations! Thank you for reminding me! NOT! I was in some blissful state having blocked it out of my memory, but you had to go and dredge up those horrid memories! I still get nightmares about the freaky bears in the restaurant and the freaky dogs in the gallery... At least they weren't CLOWNS!

• 2 weeks later...
 Quote:
machine-like German "band" with the fraulein singing and the animals all playing instruments?
That sounds like something out of a bad Disney dream.

The "machine like German band" wasn't Kraftwerk was it? ;\)

It's all fun and games until you wake up from a horroble flashback nightmare in a pool of cold sweat many years later!

\:\)

"Can't fall asleep - bears are going to eat me... Can't go off-piste - bears are going to eat me..."

• 2 weeks later...

lol.gif

I'm planning to go up there for 3 or 4 days with a group of Japanese friends. They're doing all the organising. I hope I can avoid the bears.