When I first started snowboarding I didn't really have much interest in park tricks, but now I'm starting to develop one.

How often would I have to hit rails and other non-snow objects (like the boxes and stuff in the parks, don't know what it's all called) before it starts to mess up the base of my board? Not that I've got a top-of-the-line board or anything, but I don't really want to be buying a new one every season, either, and I'd be kind of unhappy if too many rail slides began to slow me down on the piste.

I know people make park runs over and over all day long, so I guess the boards are designed for it, but I can't help but think that a steel rail is a helluva lot harder than the bottom of a snowboard, so when those two things scrape against each other, one of 'em's got to give, and it ain't gonna be the steel.

So how much abuse can I put my board through before I'm going to notice a difference in how it performs?

Thanks.

your edges will get rough, but not so bad that you notice it on the snow. I hit the rails from time to time and don't really worry about it too much. I have been riding my board for 5 years now, and the rails could be better, but are still good enough thumbsup.gif

it really depends on how well you ride and also luck. Usually when you bail there is a chance of damage. The rule is 'the second you feel unsure of yourself jump off to safety. If you air onto rails then you will probably crack your edges. It's not that big a deal, it's just they will delam eventually (I rode a board with 4 cracks for 4 years so it's no problem). Yes, you run a high risk of messing up your board (read your edges) but you won't improve by taking it safe all the time. Rails are fun!

always check the rails & boxes for stability and for anything sticking out which might affect your slide. If it's sketchy just walk away

i have recently started riding the odd rail/box. cruising along straight i generally have not too much trouble. however, the couple of times ive tried getting a little fancy and going with my board perpendicular to the rail ive taken some serious hits. how many more serious hits do u think ive got before i can pull that kinda stuff comfortably? does it come pretty fast?

depends on how co-ordinated you are mate! How good is your balance, and how quickly does your instinctive muscle memory kick in? I picked it up pretty quickly, but that was a transfer over from rail-slides etc on a skateboard. Learning that one well took hours of practice, and many spills thumbsup.gif But that is half the fun right? \:\)

I have some special skis set aside for days of abuse in a park. Even so they don't get that beaten up and it doesn't noticeably affect things.

Yeah, i have on old board i use for rails and early season conditions, and keep the new one for everything else.

As for wrecking the board, it probably won`t do too much to the base it the obstacle is well made, but any screws that stock up will give you a little grief.

More than the base, the edges and the core take the most damage, that is if you try to boardslide, as opposed to just going straight on and straight off.