I actually saw a mogul course in the process of being made in Tignes last month. It was on a wide slope which was originally not bumpy and the mogul course they made was less than 15m wide, only 2 to 3 bumps per row. They used the same Cats as those used in making half-pipes and it seemed to take a very long time.

Very interesting Markie. Can you tell us more? I've often wondered the same.

I suppose there must be some specs they are making them to.

Quote:
Originally posted by sock_monkey:
hydroponics. in the past they used to grow them on the less used side of the mountains but now it's all high tech.
But where do they go once they harvest them?
And where are they stored in the summer?

Rach, I'm afraid that's all I have to offer. That's just what I saw as I was skiing through that part of the gelande and on my way to Val d'Isere. Val d'Isere and Tignes are linked resorts and are quite hugh in size and high up. The terrain and landscape views there are the best I have ever seen. I was with a few friends and we were skiing quite quickly all the time to try to explore as much of the gelande as possible so I only passed though that mogul bit once.

What they do with the cats is: at the bottom of the course they make a snow bump then the cat goes over it and when it titls the huge snowshovel digs into the snow instantly making an hole + fresh snow for another bump.When this is done they make another bump line next to it only with the bumps halway the bumps of the other line.

There are 3 problems with these courses.

1. you still need skiers to really make the course.

2. the course will be very straight.

3. the distance between the moguls is usually pretty far.

The main advantage is that it is highly symetrical.

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
 Quote:
Originally posted by sock_monkey:
hydroponics. in the past they used to grow them on the less used side of the mountains but now it's all high tech.
But where do they go once they harvest them?
And where are they stored in the summer?
In Japan, they're pickled