Snow the previous day. Cold weather. So why was the snow not good?

I was in Niigata yesterday (Ishiuchi near Yuzawa - pics in another thread), and I'm still trying to work out why the snow conditions weren't particularly good. I'm not well up on how these things work, so if someone can help out.

There had been snow the previous day, and it was a very cold evening and morning. Then it was a beautiful morning. I thought it was going to be pow heaven. But it was nothing like that - it was pretty hard conditions out there all day, even in the afternoon when it had warmed up. I was really disappointed.

What factors were making it like that?

Thanks!

Here\'s my pics by the way.

Saturday might have been similar.

I started out Saturday morning at Yuzawa-Kogen. It snowed overnight, and was still lightly snowing. Powder, but not super fluffy or anything.

Then we made our way across Gala to Ishiuchi, and we got there before noon. But by then the Ishiuchi snow was pretty wet and heavy. It had warmed up, and Ishiuchi is lower than Kogen by a couple of hundred metres. I just put it down to the warm sunny afternoon and lower altitude. Does it sound right?

Quote:
Lack of crowds and lines being erased every few hours.
Erased every few hours? Not wanting to be picky, but that sure doesn't sound like a blizzard to me that. If you said every few minutes, maybe..