"Look my board's a --insert company name--"

I have noticed competitors at the Olympics all taking their skis/boards off and basically throwing them in the cameras face, so you can conveniently see that it's a Burton/Rossignol/Kissmark/whatever.

Is this what they are instructed to do by their sponsors? It sure doesn't seem like a natural thing for almost ALL of them to do.

The skiers do it too.

If you ever watch non-Olympic sports coverage, they do it there too, and that's probably where the habit comes from. As you guessed, it's because of the sponsors, but the brandishing of the brand-name works a little opposite though - it's not the sponsors requiring that they flash the product, but it's the rider who gets a cash bonus for each time he appears in a magazine or TV program with the product clearly visible who is making a conscious effort to show it.

speaking of japanese kids & goggles...the fashion is to wear your goggles and toque under your helmet. Did you guys check out Nakai and the other guy (I forget his name Fumiya or something). They looked so stupid.

I had this discussion with a friend of mine. I was trying tell him that his big 'euro-gap' would be laughed at in North America. But he just said that he likes to be able to take his helmet off and have his goggles ready to wear.

Quote:
I had this discussion with a friend of mine. I was trying tell him that his big 'euro-gap' would be laughed at in North America.
Was he in North America?

Excessively casual fashion (like sweatshirts or going barefeet) being worn everywhere at any time is laughed at here.

Different fashion in different countries..

Not only does it look dorky but it also cuts down on the safety that a helmet offers

It's supposed to be right up against the head but the way they are there it's perched way up

My helmet doesn't have ear flaps so in cold weather I wear a very thin toque but my helmet still fits with this under it.

Haha, reminds of Eric Lindros' helmet when he was a junior. He'd wear it so high that the visor was covering his forehead. Negating the purpose of the visor and not wearing the helmet properly either. He probably thought it was "cool" back then, and many other juniors did too, as they were required to wear visors to protect their eyes. Ha, kids.

http://www.newyorkrangers.cz/hraci/lindros/oshawa01.jpg