Ok People its time to really think hard when you again head off trail or into the BC.

The rain created many problems.

1 a thick crust that will slide easy.

2 cracks to ground in many places that usally dont crack

3 Frozen Avie debris

4 frozen chunks of snow that fell from trees

5 cold clear nights created facets which will make things slide easier

6 alot of wind loading in bowls.

Be carefull and inspect your lines before you go. I inspected Nozawa and it wasnt good. lines ending in cliffs with horrible debris. Blind roll-overs to cracks. ice chunks that are hard enough to damage your skis. I side impacted one just off trail and pushed the edge in.

Ride with care people cause most of honshu needs a new base of snow.

Zing fine guys but im being rather serious. zing me in snow in japan if you want.

Montoya ill try to snap some pics around happo this week but Im busy with on slope guiding.

Nozawas Chutes pretty much all slid. The worst one that I saw was a death trap. usally a blind roll over near the bottom but it is now all exposed rocks.

CB Tats inspected our local hakuba haunts and he said that we can no longer jump off of most things for a while. debris in the chutes or around the landings or in places that you must carry speed.

This season is setting up to kill people.

Gomen FT, I wasn't trying to decry what you were saying which is (as always) great advice and as bushpig says should be carefully heeded. Just having a bit of childish Monday morning fun....once again, gomen ne.

Montoya, I saw some lines (from distance only) there yesterday. They were a pair of cool lines where the riders were matching each others turns about 15feet apart. Yours?. Also, from distance that ridge looked dangerously overhanging?. I take it this was not the case closeup?. Sorry, total novice at this so just looking for the experts info on what I could see.

besides the snowpack risks, this weekend alone I saw people in the BC:

*with no pack/avie gear

*boot-packing and wrecking the hiking tracks

*looking to drop in over a cornice and a rather large crack below until we yelled at them

*riding 2-3 at a time

*stopping mid-way an exposed steep slope to wait for a friend above

*traversing out of terrain traps such as steep/deep creeks

this season I'm way more careful about staying clear of people I don't know, there's just too much stuff like the above going on. when Kagura opens up the top #5 Romance lift in mid-March, I have a feeling you are going to see more than a few accidents.

Ive lost confidence in this years snow pack really. Hakubas true BC is big and very long, if things go they go big. Personally I wont be heading and or thinking about going out untill I see a few things happen first, that can or would help the pack bond. Dave is digging pits everyday right now so there is alot of information coming everyday.

You're starting to see some locals from Tenjindaira over at Kagura, since it seems BC conditions at the former are too risky right now. I think we saw a mate of Dave's from Minakami over here digging a pit and checking out the pack.

I used to wish we had bigger mountains at Kagura, but this season might be the exception.