ALright I am looking for the word to use when you get that snowboard run down the mountain that is what it is all about. Surfers call it "The Stoke" when they get a good wave, I am curious what some people might call it for us. I don't want to steal from the surfers so help me out.

Hmmmm, the extacy, the adrenaline, the excitment, the bliss...Sounds like Hakkoda has been treating you well firedog. ;\)

I found the japanes translation of stoke on the net, wonder if it is correct:

v. - 火をたく, たく, 火夫をつとめる, 燃料をくべる, 燃料を補給する

n. - ストーク

hehe, well the verb one is the literal meaning as in "stoke the fire" or "add fuel to the fire"...

the noun is the implement you would use to stoke the fire...

If you want a dictionary one, then 興奮 (kyofun) can be used to describe a buzz or adrenaline rush. But that is literally excitement. There has gotta be a more normal "cool" way to say it in Japanese.

But Firedog 23, were you just asking for how boarders/skiers normally say it in English?

The Bomb!

eg: duck ropes, see mates disappear into the trees with clouds of powder flying. Belt down the line with them, picking gaps in trees. Face shots on a really cold north facing slope, going too fast, reach the silence of the hidden gully, breathing really fast, re-group for the runout through the gully back to the piste. Runs like that are the f***ing bomb!

I like to say, "Gosh, this is all rather exciting isn't it?"

I don't like to sound like a navvy shoveling coal.

By the way Bushpig, that's 'koufun'. 'Kyofun' could be a useful new cross between 'kyofu' (shit-scared) and 'koufun' (intense excitation).

As Spud says, The Bomb / Bomb seems to get spouted often these days for many things that we are stoked about.

I tend to use Mother a lot in stokeful situations. As in -

"What a Mother" "That's The Mother" "Mother of Mothers" "Mother ****er"....

which brings the F word into play and it's myriad of forms -

"What a ****er" "That's The ****" "That's The ****ing ****"...........

and in superlative form

The Mother ****ing Bomb" \:D

Snobee - we have something in common. lol.gif

I must admit though, 'The Stoke' is not so much an adjective, more an internal vibe that you get, a metaphysical, an emotion. You enjoy it and you know it is a privilege that almost no one else is lucky enough to know it. If you have The Stoke then on meeting strangers, you tend to connect better with people who without saying as much, also have The Stoke.

(it needs to be said, I had never heard of this 'Stoke' concept and I have surfed all my life. But now that I have heard of it, I understand it perfectly, so it must exist).