• 3 weeks later...

nah not this weekend CB. Gotta get stuck into the old ronbun so that I can head on up to Kobe as soon as possible ;\)

Maybe next weekend for a nighter with a coupla guys from work. Will let The Cartwheel \:D know but doubt he'd be in for a nighter.

Went to Mizuho & Tenguston over the new year for 4 days.

Was very cold & dry so the snow was good and not heaps of people.

Couldn't believe how much snow was around the countryside in Hiroshima & Shimane. Metre's deep in places so Niigata, Nagano etc must be pretty damn tough places to be at the mo'.

I hope this weekend warmer/rainy weather doesn't stuff it all up, coz I'd planned to go again soon.

Bushy - I don't think Ten Good Stones would excite you much at all.

I was with a large group including 12 kids and it was great for them. Possibly some of the cheapest family lift deals you can get, great kids teachers and cheap and very few people coz it's a skier only place on weekends. Not that I agree or disagree with that, just that it makes it as quiet as a resort could possibly get esp in supposedly peak time. Lift wait of 5 secs, cruisy wide carving to your hearts extent without messing with a sole - but damn ancient lifts and not what one would call challenging terrain. But nice scenery and very calm.

Basically a day at Mizuho for wife, kid & me cost over Y20,000 just for carpark, lift & kids lesson, but Tengu was Y10,000 flat.

yeah they are bloody rip-off merchants there eh! I had it out with one of the poor old parking area toll collectors once after he came running down to the lower carpark to tell me I couldn't park there and walk up, but instead had to drive up and pay the extra 1000 yen. It's already an expensive outing there, and it got to me that day.

Nice to get a crowd free day out though, but no boarders on weekends rules me out regardless of what the place is like.

Yeah - such a tight arse operation. Like go to the valley side and ticket price is the same as highland altho you don't need the gondola to access the slopes.

A few years ago I mentioned it at the ticket office but they said "Oh but you can use it if you want"

Yeah - but you don't need the gondola! Silence!

I'm not sure how long Tengu can keep operating as skier only on weekends. I know their angle is to promote "Safety Family Skiing" but many families have skiers & boarders. My kid definitely wants to give boarding a go sometime so that would rule us out as customers.

But at the mo it's a rare cheap luxury (so few people) so I'll try to enjoy it with the wife & kid while it lasts.

Yeah, crowd free slopes are certainly nice when you can get them. That no boarders policy has got to change soon you'd think. Kenmin no mori used to be like that, but they buckled under the pressure of the boarding trend.

It's a complete waste of time trying to reason with Japanese operations eh! Ah well, I have come to the conclusion that for my own peace of mind up there, that I should just bend over and take it with a grin, and then get on with enjoying myself on the slopes.

BIG time slide (avalanche) at Mizuho today.

Saw on the news. Looked liked the whole of Big Morning slid. Luckily they had closed the run after noticing cracks, but apparently Little Morning was open and the avalanche plunged past the 2 courses merger point.

Very Very Lucky no one appears to be injured.

Been on that course tons of time - just can't imagine it giving way.

The selfish side to all of this is -

Damn Shyt rain stuffing up 5 weeks of beauty. sadglass.gif

No Shit!?!

Last time I was there (when I posted those pics) There was already a big crack at the top of that from all the snow which hadn't bonded properly. They had roped off quite a large section of the top part, and it certainly didn't look like it was gonna hold too long. I had never seen it like that before.

Their site says the course (whole place I think) will be closed tomorrow for safety inspections.

The yahoo weather says it was raining there today but for snow again into next week, so hopefully it hasn't done too much damage. I had been planning on heading up there next Saturday sadglass.gif

I finally managed to catch it on the after midnight news last night, but they didn't show much more than a bunch of police in gumboots getting off the quad carrying a bunch of those plastic poles. It was only a news brief though, so shoganai.

へへへ, ビアッチ!!!I'll be going regardless mate ;\) :p So help out a mate and drop the key.

Nah, it stopped raining yesterday avo. But the news last night did have practically all of Japan under an avie warning for today...

Snobee just Pmd me and gave the following extremely useful info. I thought I'd post it for the reference of any other people wanting to head up that way. Thanks a heap Snobee. \:\)

Anywayz some info. This new year we stayed at

Woody Maruse (ウッディ丸瀬) a great log cabin 5 mins from Mizuho. 3 br (2 x tatami 12jo & 1 x 3beds), big kitchen with the works, good dining/living, woodfire, 2 big bathrooms, 4 toilets etc etc. Really nice helpful folks who run the Woody cafe down the road.

You pay a flat rate of Y10,000/night and additional Y3000/person eg 6 adults will be Y28,000. ph# 0855850453

home page http://www.ccv.ne.jp/home/woody/

Really Good.

Also we always stay at least once a year at the Gaia trailer cottages ガイアトレーラーコテージcaravan park - maybe you've seen it only a coupla mins from Mizuho. Really Great Guy runs it. He's one of the main bods of the ski school and loves outdoors - skiing, motorbikes, mountain bikes etc. Also his ski/board tuneups are 2nd to none. Not much he doesn't know about it all. He's a real popular character.

The big caravans are 6 berth with 2br, unit bath toilet, kitchen/living. Pretty good and around Y4,5000/person a night. For wife kid & me it's the cheapest place we can stay.

ph# 0855 850925

home http://fish.miracle.ne.jp/gaia-t-c/

Also the following is a great interactive map of the village with all the pensions, minshuku, rental shops etc as well as the above.

http://www.ohchi-gun.or.jp/oochi/map.htm

Thanks again Snobee!

Anyone head up this weekend? I went to Mizuho for the nighter last night. The snow was mainly the artificial stuff, which I was quite surprised by. I guess they must have had a horror time with all that rain a week or so ago. The base was still there, but it must have been quite icy after all the rain, which is probably why they brought out the snow machines. Otherwise, it was a fun night. It was supposed to be minus 7 but the valley side there is very sheltered and it felt quite warm. Let us know if you ventured out anywhere down this way this weekend. \:\)