I've just taken a look at the Ontake piste map and it looks like it's grown. There appears to be a couple of new lifts with a new piste extending much further down the mountain.

With a descent of 867m, is this now the "biggest" hill in Gifu?

It is some new stuff - was wondering why they were promising to update the map for this season... anyway as for being the biggest in Gifu,its in Nagano! hehehe... but still a fair bit of vert for such a small resort, and nice also to see that its not just a long beginner run thats been added, at least according to the map...

hmmm... I actually though it was the reds heading of to the left. I'm pretty sure those weren't on the resort homepages map a week or two ago... Now that I checked again with the one on yahoo (the one SJ links to) that doesn't really make sense, as it looks like that is where the main entrance is.... and also considering that that map looks like a photo, I guess they wouldn't have it all up to date with the new courses covered in snow too.

Guess the update of their gelende map was just to show the whole place... haven't actually been there but had been checking it out as its now one of the closest to me, so with the promised update to the map, a suggestion and some wishful thinking, I may have jumped the gun a bit. Was also curious as to why there didn't seem to be any noise about it on their front page...

lets cutting down more trees.

Does look a bit sucky, but was thinking of getting one of those funny snowbirds season passes which includes this place... will be hitting 47 for 20+ days and this place is 45 minutes away, so it seems sensible, otherwise I wouldn't have given it a second look...

gogalago,

I've been boarding a lot at ontake the last few years.

I can reach it in 4 1/2 hrs from shizuoka, whitout using highway, which make it convenient for me.

It is not hakuba, but i've have had a lot of fun up there.

the lower left runs have been closed for 2 years, but are not terrible interesting anyways.

the lower right runs are good fun. there are rarely many people on those runs. the upper runs gets a bit crowded in the weekends though.

Ontake does not get as much snow as northern alps, but the place stays very cold, even when weather systems comes in from the south during winter.

The place have got a new management this year, i wonder what other changes they have made.

I will problably go there next weekend

Quote:
Originally posted by Thunderpants:
gogalago,
I've been boarding a lot at ontake the last few years.
I can reach it in 4 1/2 hrs from shizuoka, whitout using highway, which make it convenient for me.
It is not hakuba, but i've have had a lot of fun up there.
the lower left runs have been closed for 2 years, but are not terrible interesting anyways.
the lower right runs are good fun. there are rarely many people on those runs. the upper runs gets a bit crowded in the weekends though.

Ontake does not get as much snow as northern alps, but the place stays very cold, even when weather systems comes in from the south during winter.
The place have got a new management this year, i wonder what other changes they have made.
I will problably go there next weekend
That explains it, I've been there the last two winters but those lower left hand runs were not open. Those "black" runs on the lower right are my favourites too.

Fattwins... exactly:

Hakuba season pass = 58000yen

Strange snowbirds pass = 63000yen but includes 47,ontake,winghills and hachikita etc... seems more worthwhile to me to have the opportunity to ride a few other spots for the extra 5000yen... although maybe they are spots I probably wouldn't otherwise have gone to, but spice, variety and all that.